Not Sure where to move

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
AlliNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Not Sure where to move

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:20 am

Hello :biggrin:

My boyfriend and would like to do a work/travel visa to Germany for somewhere between 6 months to a year... this is all still very early planing stages. I have a couple questions and Im hoping someone on here will be able to help.

First thing is we're not sure where we should be looking into, I've heard Frankfurt and Munich are probably our best options language wise, but we do plan to try to learn German before we go.

Im a bit more concerned with work options, He's a Chef and I'm a Massage Therapist I was thinking a tourist heavy city would probably give us the best options for work.

My last worry is that we have a dog (mini dachshund) and while we do have family that would take him for a while, Im wondering if it might be an option to bring him along. I know the legal stuff Im just wondering culture wise, is it hard to get apartments/hotels that are pet friendly there?

Well that's all the question Ive got thus far, But If anyone has any information that they think we should have or should look in anything and everything is appreciated!
Thanks!!!
Lucy B.Junior Member

Re: Not Sure where to move

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:04 am

I went to Germany once, and Munich and Frankfurt are definitely nice cities! I can't tell you how the work situation is there right now, though. However, I do know that the Germans are a very dog friendly people, and a lot of hotels and apartments are pet friendly. You should definitely bring your little dachshund. :)
Ken S.New Member

Re: Not Sure where to move

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:20 pm

I wouldn't go to Germany expecting to work any particular field - especially if you have little or no understanding of the language. Germany is not like Canada; expect people to be less accepting and sympathetic; here in Canada we have grown accustomed to people having poor English skills and we are flexible about it; many people in Germany are easily annoyed and frustrated by people who have a poor command of German (however, quite a few do speak English quite well). Doing odd jobs, although sometimes menial, may in the end leave you with a better understanding of the country and, with time, some fond memories. Some actually pay fairly good (or did, when I was there). I recall one (very early morning) cleaning job (2 hrs. per weekday) that paid DM30/h (at the time CAD$35, I believe). The job that was really sought after by the German students was being a mail carrier; short hours, paid really well, iirc. Not sure if that is open to non-Germans, though.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!