[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Canadian German Citizenship

Canadian German Citizenship

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
mlsbinderNew Member

German grandparents

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 am

plfNew Member

Re: Canadian German Citizenship

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:54 pm

The only way that you can become a dual, is if you can prove that losing your current citizenship would cause undue financial implications or create a situation critical to you career. That is the information I've found!
melrioux7New Member

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi there,

I think you can't have a dual german citizenship... I was born in Germany from Canadian parents so I got the canadian citizenship. I lived in Germany for 10 years. When I was 18 (I'm 19 now) I could have changed to German citizenship, but as I am now living in Canada, it was easier to keep my Canadian one... Because I could'nt get both. Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship except if one of your parents is german, and the other one canadien. So in your case, I guess you would have to give up your canadian citizenship to get the german one...

But to every rule there is always an exception, so good luck anyways!

Melanie :)
Cinnamon46New Member

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:29 am

I am 51, a Canadian citizen. I was born in 1960 to Canadian parents in Germany. My late father was in the Canadian Armed Forces and stationed in Germany at the time. I do not think we lived on the army base. I am pretty sure we lived in the countryside in Balve, Germany and I was born in a hospital in Iserlohn. My question is, would I have dual citizenship in Germany?
travelistaNew Member

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm

From what I've heard, Germany recently changed the rules so you can hold dual citizenship. Not 100% on this though, so maybe look into it a bit further..
Frank from RadiumNew Member

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Hello there, I am new to this Forum so not sure if this is the right place to post.
I am a German Citizen and moved to Canada with my Parents back in 82, but hold my permanent residents card
I would like to apply for my Canadian citizenship, but don't want to loose my German Citizenship since I still have family there and not sure what times will bring.
How can I go about obtaining both?
Any help is appreciated

My email is Frank.Purschwitz@gmail.com

Thanks for your reply
HeinzGrotJunior Member

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm

A friend of mine has Dual Citizenship from Germany and the US, so its definitely possible, he also has it for about 10 years already so they must have changed it already a while ago.

cheers

Heinz
truemanaNew Member

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Just thought I'd add to the discussion since this was a question I wish was explicitly answered for me!

I now hold both Canadian and German passports. My grandfather came from Germany after WWII in 1951. He married my grandmother in 1955 and my mom was born later that year in Canada. My grandfather applied for Canadian Citizenship in 1960. My parents were married in 1983 and I was born in 1986 in Canada. I only applied recently for a German passport and was never registered as a citizen until then. I am a German citizen because my grandfather was german when my mother was born, and my mother was subsequently german when I was born. I also was born after the 1975 german nationality law was changed to allow for the citizenship to be passed on the maternal side.

You can hold both German and Canadian citizenships. Canadian government allows dual/multiple citizenships. Germany discourages it, but will allow it if you received both citizenships at birth (as I did when born in Canada to Canadian citizens). They also allow it if you are naturalized and receive specific permission from the German government. I don't know the criteria.

So anyone who is wondering: yes, you can receive German citizenship through your grandparents and no your parents do not have to claim their citizenship first. It is a birthright. However, the law has changed and now requires all children of German citizens to be registered with the nearest German authority within one year of their birth in order for that child to claim citizenship. Keep in mind though, that you require a LOT of documentation in order to prove it to the German authorities. I'm fortunate in that my family keeps documentation such as my grandfathers last German passport and his original birth certificate. One thing that I found interesting was how difficult the Canadian government was in obtaining documentation. Very slow and unorganized. So, if you require the "Record Letter" from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, apply right away! it can take up to six months; far longer than any other document such as new birth and marriage certificates from your province.

An interesting fact about German-Canadian citizens is their their children are eligible for both citizenships as well, regardless of where they are born, so long as their birth is registered with the local german authority.

Hope this adds to the pot!
1CaractereNew Member

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 am

I was born in Canada. At the time I was born both of my parents were German citizens. They later became Canadian citizens and since lost their German citizenship. However, because they were (in particular my father, back in 1956) still in fact German citizens AT THE TIME OF MY BIRTH, I was a German citizen too. All I had to do was to prove that with some documentation and then I got my German Passport. I am a Canadian citizen, because I was born in Canada and I am also a German citizen because my FATHER was a German citizen at the time of my birth. That is the law. 8)

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!