Please Help: Here is my Story

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
OntarioGuy26New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Please Help: Here is my Story

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Hey.
My name is Aaron. I am 26yo and am currently living in Sudbury Ontario. A few months ago I met a 20yo female who is living in Sudbury also. She is actually from Gottingen, Germany but came here to work and travel Canada before heading back in August to start college. She swore up and down that she would never get "involved" with anyone here because of obvious complications. Low and behold our friendship blossomed into more and we have been dating for a bit now. We both know that we are in for a bumpy ride when August comes because of the massive delema we have put one another in. Love is a strange thing sometimes but we are at the point now where we don't want to lose one another.
We have come to the conclusion that she should not stay in Canada and go school because of 1) truition costs 2) her below average grammar and writing skills (her marks would be affected by her English) The only option is for me to move to Germany but go figure, I can't speak a word of German nor have I ever been to Europe, for that matter. I am scared for obvious reasons. I do have my high school diploma but I don't have any college as of yet and I know how Germans value there education.
From what I have been reading in this Forum I have seen so many people ask about English jobs and the fact that many say that there is a lack of such. Is it just a dream to believe that there are options for a purely English man in Germany?
I have so many questions that need answers and I am at a loss in knowing where to start. I am doing all of this out of pure Love for a girl that I am not willing to let go under any circumstances. I figure I don't have anything to lose by going there but I want to go prepared at the least. Any help would be appreciated.
Drop me a line....
axolotlCanuckAbroad VIP

Re: Please Help: Here is my Story

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Many a Canadian has immigrated to the US or overseas for love. Luckily there are some options. Since you're still under 35, you qualify for a working holiday visa to Germany which you can get through SWAP (go to www.swap.ca). The visa is only valid for a year maximum, but it's something.

As for finding work, you're going to have a hard time living there without at least SOME knowledge of German. I would recommend you pick up some books or maybe even Rosetta Stone to start learning the language now. You might be able to get a job teaching English or maybe an office job, but not speaking German will seriously hamper your ability to find work there.

Hope that helps.
OntarioGuy26New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:36 pm

I have heard alittle about SWAP. The good thing is that it doesn't matter to her where she attends college. If I can find a job first than she will find a college there. Unfortunately she has to apply before July 15th and we aren't going to Germany until Aug 15th. Do you know what 90 days out of 180 days is?? Does that mean that I can only travel to German, stay for 90 days then I have to leave the country for atleast 6 months??
schmillionNew Member

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:44 am

The visa is difficult to get
DainaBBNew Member

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 am

Hey OntarioGuy...

I know exactly what you are going through. I just got back from traveling abroad in Australia and no matter how many times I told my self "I'm not falling in love" I did, with a German. We spent 6 months together and now I'm back here, and he's still in Australia. He also wants to study engineering in University in Germany, and I'm a nursing student here in Peterborough. We also looked into getting residency for him here so he could study, but it takes like a year. It would be intersting to know what you guys have decided to do.. are you going to try and work there? I'm worried about finding a job also as I know very little German and I want to finish my education here as well.

If you ever see this message, I would love to hear from you.

Daina
OntarioGuy26New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:02 pm

K I have a question I can't find an answer to online. If I travel to Germany for, lets say 30 days and I come back to Canada, can I go back to Germany right away or do I have to stay here for 90 days before being aloowed back into their country?? How does that work? I have learned that I can go to Germany without a Travel Visa and stay up to 90 days but I dont need to be there that long for this trip.
CanuckAbroadSite Admin

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:00 pm

90 days in a six month period before you need a visa.
Shanj86New Member

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:41 pm

ok, I have a few suggestions. You may not like them, but I have some personal experience in these things (good and bad) so I can offer my advice. I went to Germany on an exchange for a year and met my German boyfriend and decided to stay. Actually, I had to return to Canada, get a visa,and come back. Yes, you can enter germany for 3 months without a visa. However, I wouldn't suggest it. With no german skills, and no pre-arranged contract, you will NOT find a job in time and will be forced to return to canada, where you will have to wait some time before being allowed to come back (i think 3 months, maybe longer). As was already mentioned above, because you are under 35, I would suggest getting a YMA visa. Its good for a year and there are a few different categories to get it. One of them is simply like a 'cultural' one, which allows you to be here for a year, and take any job for whatever amount of money you want. but you can't renew it. At least not under the same category, and not within 5 months of ur first one expiring. Whats important is it gives u a year to get settled, find a job, and GET GERMAN SKILLS. for a job, you'll need them. You cant even work at McDonalds without some german skills. Another option would be to enrole in a language course at a language school, and as long as its every day (its normally like every day from 9-12 or so) you can get a student visa that way, and then you can work in an irish pub or something on the side. But it's not easy getting a job here. The unemployment is VERY high right now, and if you try to get a contract that will get you a visa it takes MONTHS of waiting, you have to prove language skills, and that a german cant do it, etc.etc.etc. I would HIGHLY suggest the YMA visa. its easy to get, and you can have it in 10 days, and its free. You can come over without worries, you have a year to learn german and try and find a job. having said that, I know many people that even after a year couldnt find a job. I myself am right now an english teacher (I have a degree and certification to teach) but I simply never get paid. Times are tough for Germany right now...

I would suggest marriage, but thats actually even harder. the easiest ways are YMA or student visa. You cant get a work visa without a contract, and you cant get a contract without the visa. and normal work visas take on average 3 months to process. My YMA was there in 8 days.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!