Future in Germany

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
ValdazNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Future in Germany

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first post if I am missing any information anyone wants please let me know.

I am an 18 year old student out of London Ontario, I have a strong German backround with my Mother being from Germany and my Father Hungarian (who lived in Germany). Ive been to the country countless times on family visits (first time being at 14 months old) and ever since ive been greatly attracted to the country. For a long time its been my wish to move there and live a life there. I have a few questions as how I would get started there. I am still in highschool (doing a victory lap) and am wondering if it would be better to do my university education here or there. My German is basic at best but I know enough to get around. I hold a dual citizenship with both Canada and Germany (I assume that helps me past the visa's etc) My family lives near München so around that area would be my goal to start of in. What else would you suggest I think about or take into consideration about moving there?

Thanks a lot for your time.

-- Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:03 pm --

Does anyone have any input? Anything would be very helpful. Its my first time on this site and this is my first post so if there is anything I am missing out or anything else I need to include in my question letting me know would be great.

Thanks a lot
metalfan2405CanuckAbroad Regular

Re: Future in Germany

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:36 am

Hey!! and Servus!! :D

Im an 18 year old student from London Ontario too. But I've been living in Germany for the past 5 years, first in Munich and now in Wiesbaden.
The first thing I'd suggest doing is finishing your education in Canada(UWO :D ) and then if you really want to, move to Germany. I'm suggesting this because schools here are different, they're not like schools in Canada, you might even know that since you've been to Germany so often. The other reason is, unless you're planning on going to an english university here, you need to know German, like really well. I'd suggest, if you really want to spend some time in Germany, getting involved in exchange programs at university, I know UWO has, (or at least the last time I was there ) an exchange program set up with Heidelberg University (not Munich but just as good :biggrin:)
yea, well, thats my suggestion to you, if you have any questions about germany feel free to ask :D

Gruß and take care!
aleks
Ken S.New Member

Re: Future in Germany

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:35 pm

If I had my life to do over again and I was 18 what I would do is:

1) work for two or three years and save as much money as possible...

2) enroll in a university with a good German program (not sure there are any in Canada anymore)...

3) go to Germany an exchange program (which I did)...

4) not return after my two semesters was finished, instead keep studying as long as they would permit

5) travel, find work, settle down, and forget about Canada. Canada is a lost cause.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!