Canadian moving to Berlin with EU spouse

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
mauderobNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Canadian moving to Berlin with EU spouse

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:52 am

Hello fellow Canadians! My long-time partner (we are not married), who has Belgian citizenship, just received a scholarship to do his PHD in Berlin for 4 years. We want to go together and I was wondering what kind of rights I could have? Would I need a work visa? What about medical insurance? If you have been through this adventure, please give me some advice... Thanks in advance! :)
tarahsayNew Member

Re: Canadian moving to Berlin with EU spouse

Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:00 pm

I am sorry I can not help, but am in a similar situation!

I am Canadian, engaged to a Brit. He has been offered a job in Munich, and I am curious about me being able to come along. We will be married before going, though will have not lived together :S Any help is appreciated.

You might want to check "JustLanded" in the germany section they have a few links regarding spousal visas :)
canadiandrumbeatNew Member

Re: Canadian moving to Berlin with EU spouse

Post Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Hi Mauderob or Tarahsay,
Did either of you figure out getting medical? I am coming to/moving to Germany in 2 1/2 weeks. I had a good medical plan from BC called Blue Cross, and they said I can stay with them for about $120/mo. but I think it should be prepaid for a year. I do not want to do that, and am thinking of putting my BC medical on hold and just using some other private medical insurance maybe from Royal Bank, but they are about $150/mo.. What did you find or do please? My girlfriend there has medical through her work but it is even more than all the Canadian quotes I have found.

thanks from Burnaby, BC

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!