One-way or Return ticket?

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
LisaTNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

One-way or Return ticket?

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi there,

I'm researching flights right now for leaving Canada with a 1 year YMA. What is the best option?

1) Should I buy a one way ticket though I find they are way expensive? Also, would I get hassled at the immigration with a one-way?

2) Should I buy a return ticket with any return date and use the return portion and then get my ticket once I know my plans after the year is up?

3) Should I buy a return ticket with the exact dates (although I am unsure what my plans are)?

Thanks a bunch!
LobensteinCanuckAbroad Regular

Re: One-way or Return ticket?

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:00 am

It is never a good idea to buy a one-way ticket as they are overpriced and may cause hassles by border patrols, not that you have done anything wrong, just because they are suspicious by nature. It may be worth buying an open-ended ticket with a generous return date latitude that runs through the time that you anticipate returning. It should also be transferable, maybe, because if you can not leave at that time, you may be able to transfer it to someone that you can sell it to who would than purchase a return ticket separately. It all sounds complicated, I know, but an open-ended ticket is the way to go, I suspect. Contact you local travel BROKER (not agent) and discuss your options. They are trained to solve complicated problems when it comes to travel. Good luck.
ninjaofdeathNew Member

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:33 am

I agree to not buy a one-way ticket. You will definitely have problems at customs. I also thought with the YMA you had to have a two-way ticket. Are you already in Germany?
LisaTNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi there,

Sorry I should have answered this post after the last response. I ended up buying a round-trip ticket with Air Canada where they gave me a free return flight change because I wanted to return one year later. I have been here almost one year in Nov :)

For YMA Vancouver, it did not ask to show my tickets before hand (like in TO).

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!