Canadian moved back from US ask for tax advice

If we travel or live abroad, we usually come back to visit right? Here's a the place to meet other "re-pats" and Canadians who have returned.
shzhNew Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Canadian moved back from US ask for tax advice

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 pm


I am a Canadian citizen who lived in the U.S for 3 years then returned to Canada in April 2011.
My husband and I were considered resident aliens of US for tax purposes in 2010.

My question is:
1. Should I and my husband file a joint tax return with IRS as resident alien for 2011?
2. What else should we do to become non residents of US for tax purposes so we can cut the connections with IRS after that? We have no plan to go back to US to work again. We don't want IRS come after us year after year. In Canada, I know there is a form NR74 called Determination of Residency Status to be sent to CRA. What about the US? I couldn't find something similar from IRS's website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wendesdaycome. :idea:

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests