Tax - year returning to canada from US

If we travel or live abroad, we usually come back to visit right? Here's a the place to meet other "re-pats" and Canadians who have returned.
chrissy1013New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Tax - year returning to canada from US

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I read through the thread and still can't get my head around it. Would really appreicate it if some of you experts out there can help me out.

I moved to US on a TN VISA in August 2008, and CRA has determined that I would be a non-resident as of Aug 2008. Thurs tax filed with US as resident for year 2009 and 2010.

Come 2011 - I moved back to Canda in August 2011. For tax purposes, do I (single filing btw):

1) file as dual-status (meaning signed 1040 NR with US, but attached the 1040 as a statement? I wasn't sure if I understand the IRS pub correctly), and would only report the US income (1 W-2) during the period Jan-Aug. The exemption of $3,700 would not be prorated.

2) File a T-1 with canda - would i filed as resident? Would I need to report the US earnings as foriegn income along with tax credits?! Or do I file with proration on the earnings in canada from Sept-Dec only? I did call CRA and "renewed" my residency status as of Aug 2011.

Thank you again in adavanced for your help.

- Christina
chrissy1013New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Tax - year returning to canada from US

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Thnk you Agnelson! I did nagviate through the serbinski site and saw some of the responses you posted. Unforunately my browser was acting funky and i am not able to setup an account on serbinski. Would you mind helping me out a bit here?

From another posting on Serbinki re: deduction... Are you saying that to determine the TAX RATE, i would calculate it using the 1040, with pro-rated deduction/exemption?! (So the whole NR calculation on taxable income/tax does not apply? My return is extermely simple, i have one T4 and one W2 for the year, with some donations made...

I will try again later to see if i can register on serbinski, but regardless, thank you for helping us out on these sites!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!