Changing status from TN-1 to F1

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.
kslNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Changing status from TN-1 to F1

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:02 am

Hi, I need help on the procedure involved in changing my TN-1 work permit status onto an F1 stuent visa. Thanks!
itek2odNew Member

Re: Changing status from TN-1 to F1

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:25 pm

agnelson wrote:Enroll in school, get I-20 issued from school, quit TN job, go to border and enter on F1. Go to school.

Ok, sounds simple enough. However......

I) How long should one be in Canada before entering on the F1? I think it does not matter, since the TN status itself is temporary, ie one should have an address in Canada as a permanent home. I gue ss what reaaly matters is what ucis/cbp thinks

ii) How about driver's licensing and vehicle registration? If I drive my US bought/owned/registered jalopy into Canada, do I have to import it to Canada, even if I'm in Canada for a few weeks?

iii) if I get my state DL for a cdn one, what happens when I get to the border for F1 entry? Id have a cdn DL/temporary paper cdn DL, a state reg car w/ state plates. If I imported the car to canada, would I then need to export it to the us and import the car to the us? It really looks like it would have been easier to leave the car in the usa.

Thanks for reading this far.
ilovesteakNew Member

Re: Changing status from TN-1 to F1

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Is it true?

"Canadian Citizens do not need visas to study in the U.S. You do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university that you plan to attend. At the time you receive the I-20 (or DS-2019) you will be registered with SEVIS, the student tracking system. You will be assigned a SEVIS number, and be required to pay a registration fee."

I found this information on us consulate website. So for example I take admission in MS and have wife and kids How my wife and kids will enter usa when I do not visa.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas ... visas.html

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!