Canadian wanting to move to the UK

All questions and topics related to UK work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.
tofu81New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:41 am
Location: LaSalle Ontario

Canadian wanting to move to the UK

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:46 pm

I've been researching online all the options as to what is involved in moving to the uk. I know getting a work permit is a long shot, especially in this economy so i wanted to see if there was another way.

As for education, i have a college diploma as a laboratory assistant. I don't know if that's enough to apply for the Tier 1 Visa. I don't think it is?

I have a good friend that lives there which is most of the reason that i want to move there, but neither of us want to get married, which i understand would actually make things easier, but not sure i want to go down that road just yet.

I have great grandparents that came to canada from the uk but not grandparents, so that rules out the ancestry visa i believe.

Kind of at a dead end, so if anyone has any other information that could help me out, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks :P
rogueprinzessNew Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Canadian wanting to move to the UK

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm in the same boat, and i just turned 31 so I'm hooped for the tier 5 visa.

Any suggestions that someone living there could provide would be awesome!

Thanks :)
cottagegirlNew Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:07 am

Re: Canadian wanting to move to the UK

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:25 am

Hi, I am new to this site and like you would like to move to the UK, Wales to be specific, to live with my friend there. He is divorced and I am in the process......and so cannot get married at this point, and not sure that we want to. Actually, when my divorce is final, I would like to remain that way.
I have an online business, and wondered if I could move there, and still run my business here,,,and what the tax implications would be. As long as I am able to show that I can support my self and pay my health care, is there an issue with immigration? Or do I go there for 6 months and apply to stay another 6 months? Do they just renew the visitor visa, as long as you are not costing the country money and can pay our own way?
I am 51 years old, and do not have a university degree, or ancestors who are from the, I am not sure how to apply or what route I should take. It all seems very complicated to me, and your situation was so close to my own, that I was wondering if you are making any progress. Sorry I have no advice for you, but am just going in circles at this point. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

-- Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:08 pm --

Hi there, your situation is much like mine. And I am having difficulty finding answers. I know someone who went to Australia for 6 months as a visitor, and at the end of 6 months,,or just before they went to Immigration there,,,showed that they had the funds to pay their way ,,actually, they had a Visa credit card with $10,000.00 of credit available,,,and Immigration stamped her passport for another 6 months.
She suggested to me that I go to the UK for 6 months,,,and after I am there, as long as I have the money to pay my own health insurance, and the required 2900.00 GBP in a bank account,,,(extra money if possible), to just go to Immigration to see if they will extend my visitor visa for another 6 months.
That sounds pretty risky to me, to uproot myself here and maybe ony be able to stay of 6 months.
Has anyone out there used an Immigration lawyer and are they worth it? I see lots of questions posted here, but not many answers,,,there must be a way to go there and live. Seems like people are doing it all the time.
I am getting pretty frustrated with this process, but not ready to give up.

-- Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:44 pm --

My friend spoke to someone in Immigration in the UK and they said this was something they could not officially 'suggest',,,but mentioned that if I went there for 6 months, and then came back to Canada,,,and only stayed a short time,,,for a visit to family for a couple of weeks,,,and then went back for another 6 months,,that it would be unlikely that they would notice at the airport that I had just been there for 6 months. Has anyone ever tried this,,,,could I apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after 2 years, if I managed to keep going back after my 6 months was up Too risky? What do you think?
safNew Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Re: Canadian wanting to move to the UK

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:31 pm

hi i am a canadian citizen how can i moved permanent to uk non of my parents or grand parents born in uk .got no idea also how to get job there is there anyone to help
oh forgot to mention my sis is britsh citizen would that help me
act834Junior Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:47 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Canadian wanting to move to the UK

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:54 am

For those of you who are 30 and under, you can get a youth visa for two years. Otherwise I would look into work transfers if that's a possibility.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests