Can I apply for a TN-1 out of Switzerland?

For anyone living or traveling in Switzerland
rleyenNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Can I apply for a TN-1 out of Switzerland?

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 am

Hi, I have been living in Switzerland for more than 9 years now.

I founded a LLC in Miami, Florida in 2007 and now need to obtain a US SSN for getting a new business bank account with another bank.

Apparently, I get no SSN without having at a least a non-immigrant status. This is why I need a TN-1.

My question now is, can apply for a TN-1 without having to travel to the US? I.e. at the local embassy in Bern or even directly via a form in the US or US-Embassy in Canada?

If not, I guess I will have to bring the necessary paperwork on my next flight from Zurich to Miami and supposingly need to present my intends to the Customs Border Officer at the airport.

I would appreciate any valuable input from those who know how to handle this.

Thanks,

Ralph
rleyenNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Can I apply for a TN-1 out of Switzerland?

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:51 am

Steven wrote:Getting TN-1 wouldn't help you in this situation, because you have to go to the SSA office to pick it up after you enter. It takes ten days for the information from CBP to hit their system so you'd have to wait awhile. I think only US citizens can apply for SSNs from abroad via the local embassy. You have to physically go to a Class A POE in order to get TN-1 and enter the US anyway.

The solution is to get an ITIN by filing a W-7.

Hi Steven,

thanks for your reply.

It is a bit of a catch22 here.

I do have a Company Tax ID# and I pay my taxes in the US for the corporation.

BUT to open a business bank account, I, as the managing member of this company, need to have a SSN to open a account on behalf of the company.

It's all weird and the US system starts driving me nuts. But I need to get this resolved asap.

So basically, I need to get a SSN.

It looks like, I need to schedule a longer business trip to the US in order to fetch my SSN at the local branch office after I entered the border and was granted the TN-1 status.

IF there is any other way to obtain the SSN, I am more than thankful to read your suggestions. Either publicly in here or as a PM.

Thanks, Ralph

Just quickly on the ITIN:

What is an ITIN used for?
ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.
IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

Who needs an ITIN?
IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.
Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

* Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
* U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
* Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
* Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder

So an ITIN would not support me in opening my business checking account for my corporation.

I just spoke with a lady at the SSN administration in the US.

I explained my case and she keeps on bashing: you are not eligible for a SSN as you do not have a work visa.

Well, I do not want to work in the US, just need a SSN to open a business checking account at a local bank.

Still, nope, no way around to get any exceptions in cases like mine.

I need to drag my ... to the US and apply for a TN-1, even though I do not want to work in the US.

What a retarted system. :evil:
RaviAutoJunior Member

Re: Can I apply for a TN-1 out of Switzerland?

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:45 am

Steven wrote:Getting TN-1 wouldn't help you in this situation, because you have to go to the SSA office to pick it up after you enter. It takes ten days for the information from CBP to hit their system so you'd have to wait awhile. I think only US citizens can apply for SSNs from abroad via the local embassy. You have to physically go to a Class A POE in order to get TN-1 and enter the US anyway.

The solution is to get an ITIN by filing a W-7.

Thanks dear for telling about the TN-1......

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!