Irish Drivers License

For anyone living or traveling in Ireland
jesreidNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Irish Drivers License

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:54 am

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been living in Mayo Ireland for the past 2.5 years. I only began driving here last May after buying a very cheap car and it has been incredibly useful when living in a rural small town. I've been using my Canadian (BC) license with an international drivers permit, but I can only drive here for one year, after which I need an EU license of some sort in order to drive legally and be insured. There is no reciprocal agreement between Ireland and Canada for drivers licenses, so to get an Irish one I would need to go through the entire learner process, including not driving on my own for 6 months and taking 12 mandatory driving lessons - at €30 each! I would like to avoid this if possible, for the expense and the hassle, so I'm looking for any alternative that any fellow Canadians have discovered which will be a legal work around.

One other route I'm attempting is to get a UK license, as they do have a reciprocal agreement with Canada, however they will only give you a license for driving automatic (they assume Canadians can't handle a stick shift!) and getting a full license for a manual drive car appears to be problematic. I have a cousin living in London so I can use her address for my application, though without permission to remain in the UK, I'm not sure if I will qualify, but I'm going to try regardless.

If there are any others out there who have experienced similar challenges, I would appreciate hearing any suggestions or solutions you may have encountered.

Thanks in advance :)

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!