Considering Moving to Ireland to Work for a Year

For anyone living or traveling in Ireland
EmilyBNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Considering Moving to Ireland to Work for a Year

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Hey Everyone,

Hoping for some advice here. Currently, I'm a 27 year old resident of Vancouver, but I've really been wanting to travel abroad to work lately. I feel a little lost career-wise and just want to get away to some new surroundings and experiences. I was thinking I'd like to work in Ireland, since I have many relatives there, and I've been there before and really loved the atmosphere. It felt like a second home to me.

Would those of you who have gone to Ireland to work recommend it? It seems like a lot of you have had negative experiences, which is disappointing, but I don't want to give up on it.

Did you find it difficult to get a job? I'm looking for administrative/office positions (which there seem to be a lot of listings for online), and don't plan on waiting tables or working retail. Was obtaining an Irish Working Holiday visa difficult? I've considered getting the dual citizenship since my dad and grandparents are Irish but that sounds like such a drawn-out hassle that I don't know if it's worth it. But maybe it has it's benefits?

Pretty much, what were the best and worst things about it?

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks :)
-Emily

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!