Canadians in Portugal / Lisbon?

For anyone traveling or living in Portugal
GabrielNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Canadians in Portugal / Lisbon?

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Any Canucks in Portugal? I know you're out there but this subsection of the forum is pretty much dead.

So, what would you do for Tim Horton's coffee here in Portugal? There are already Starbucks in Lisbon, but it's not the same...

[admin note - change topic title to be more descriptive]
jackigurlNew Member

Re: So....

Post Sun May 23, 2010 11:51 am

Hi Gabrielle, So... You must be living in Portugal if you are missing Tim Hortons. If so where did you live in Canada? Was the move easy or is it difficult? I have just returned from Lisbon, I fell in love with it and would love to move there as soon as I am able if I am able!
LobensteinCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Sun May 30, 2010 6:50 am

I am not in Portugal but my parents were robbed there once so I figure I can join in. I was just telling someone here in Cyprus ( and this kills me as a Canadian :P ) that I am sick of cafes and restaurants here charging $3.50 or more Canadian for an instant nescafe coffee without even a refill. Throughout Canada, they brew coffee and many coffees in donut shops and Second Cup and Timothy's Coffees of the World are flavoured with a great aroma. Here, you get a meager amount of freeze-dried granules and some hot water for the price of two giant brewed coffees in Canada. AND that is not the worst part. A donut costs $2.00 for one. You get a dozen for 4.00 dollars in Canada. A Canadian came here and saw a gold mine and started the donut company. It is insane. I figure he is making at least 1,000 percent profit on every donut and he supplies all of the restaurants and stores. He has a monopoly. I miss Canada. Roberto
GabrielNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi jackigurl,

Yup, originally from Wallaceburg, Ontario, though I did live a few years in London. I moved when I was 21, partially as an adventure, and have been here 7 years.

The move wasn't very hard, since I make friends very easily and have no problem adapting to different cultures. I did live a few years in Coimbra, which is a typical university town, and have only been in Lisbon a few months.

I'd recommend the move, though don't burn all your bridges when/if you do. You never know what can happen. ;)

jackigurl wrote:Hi Gabrielle, So... You must be living in Portugal if you are missing Tim Hortons. If so where did you live in Canada? Was the move easy or is it difficult? I have just returned from Lisbon, I fell in love with it and would love to move there as soon as I am able if I am able!

Sorry to hear about your parents Lobenstein :oops:

The exact same thing happens in Portugal, though prices are a bit better. The "American style" coffee here is usually instant, and flavourless.

And don't get me started on donuts. The variety here is a joke. You either have the honey glazed or chocolate dipped. And both have none of the flavour of Canadian donuts. Boy do I miss proper donuts, I'm salivating as I'm typing...

Though I do wonder how successful a traditional Canadian coffee shop would be here...

Lobenstein wrote:I am not in Portugal but my parents were robbed there once so I figure I can join in. I was just telling someone here in Cyprus ( and this kills me as a Canadian :P ) that I am sick of cafes and restaurants here charging $3.50 or more Canadian for an instant nescafe coffee without even a refill. Throughout Canada, they brew coffee and many coffees in donut shops and Second Cup and Timothy's Coffees of the World are flavoured with a great aroma. Here, you get a meager amount of freeze-dried granules and some hot water for the price of two giant brewed coffees in Canada. AND that is not the worst part. A donut costs $2.00 for one. You get a dozen for 4.00 dollars in Canada. A Canadian came here and saw a gold mine and started the donut company. It is insane. I figure he is making at least 1,000 percent profit on every donut and he supplies all of the restaurants and stores. He has a monopoly. I miss Canada. Roberto
VictorNew Member

Re: Canadians in Portugal / Lisbon?

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi everyone!

I was searching for Tim Hortons in Portugal and I found this forum

A "porkchop" friend sent me a box with timmies coffee and I tought how much success it will do if someone invest on the first Tim Hortons here in Portugal.

Gabriel, congrats! your facebook page and your website is very nice

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!