Tax refunds

For anyone traveling or living in Korea
Michelle23New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Tax refunds

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:24 pm

I have just filed my taxes and have received a refund check from CRA for my taxes paid as well as EI and Pension contributions. I work for a US company and they are insisting that I have to return the refund to them in Full. The EI and Pension contributions came from my base salary. The income tax was paid in part by me and in part by my company. They have not really explained why I have to return the refund to them other than I have to because if I was in Canada I would have to pay taxes. Any advise as to why or if I need to return the refund would be great!

Also, I have been told that my tax forms have been ammended so that I am not getting a refund for EI or Pension contributions. As a non-resident am I elligable for EI and Pension benifits?

Thanks

Michelle
CanuckAbroadSite Admin

Re: Tax refunds

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Strange - if you're a non-resident I thought you wouldn't have to pay taxes to begin with? Have you applied for official non-resident status?
Michelle23New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:19 am

I have applied for and now have official non-resident status. I am not sure why any taxes are with held salary to begin with. or how I am can get EI as a non-resident. My company is really pressuring me to return the refund to them, but it doesn't seem legal that I should have to return MY tax refund???
expatriatetaxreturnsNew Member

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

If you're an U.S. expat, you should seek the advice of a professional to take a look at your tax situation. Come check out our website www.expatriatetaxreturns.com and we can take a look and what you need to do. We are here for you.
Michelle23New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:53 pm

AGN,
yes I am living and working in Korea, and the company pays the Korean taxes for me, as that is part of the agreement for my employment. The money with held for Candian taxes is not given to me, but taken from my base salary. I have also been informed that I am elligable for EI and CPP so my income tax return has been amended and the EI and CPP will not be reunded. The tax prep company has also stated that the refund will be remitted dirrectly to my company. against my request to send the refund check to me first.

this all makes no sense to me.
Michelle23New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 pm

my company is with holding taxing because that is the way they do things for US employees. neither me, or the government of Canada is claiming I live in Canada.

the reason I have been told the refund goes to my company is beacause if I was working in Canada I would have to pay taxes. if you know any tax sepcialsts/lawers that would be very helpful.

right now I am not only concerned about my current tax situation, but what will happen when I return to Canada...

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!