Teaching In Thailand

For anyone traveling or living in Thailand
devindpeiJunior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Teaching In Thailand

Post Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:44 am

Hi there,

It's been a long time since i've posted.

I'm looking into a teaching job next year in Bangkok. Has anyone had any experience teaching there? Is there anyone currently teaching there.

I'm a certified Canadian teacher, and this is an international school where i'd be teaching my subject area in English. It has nothing to do with teaching ESL, like so many other's who go to Asia to teach.
AllyssaSuper Member

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Let me guess -- Lertlah? I've had friends work with Lertlah and they have great reports about the whole expereience.
constantineNew Member

Re: Teaching In Thailand

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:41 am

Well i have no personal experience but one of friend told me that thiland is very nice place people are friendly and helpfull so it mean it won't be tough to adjust in a friendly environment for a noble profession of teaching...
shubhranshuJunior Member

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:12 am

It is nice place to shift. People are cooperative. You wouldn’t face any major problem. You may also think to work as a virtual teacher for online tutoring classes in your spare time.
Adviser Luxury travel
ETVNew Member

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 am

It's a great job! hope you are fun
kite2010Junior Member

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:29 am

Volunteer Work Thailand is a new website that lists a variety of community service ideas and conservation projects, including many free volunteer work opportunities in Thailand.

If you intend to travel to Thailand for the purpose of volunteering you should have a look at the site: http://www.volunteerworkthailand.org
mal129New Member

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:12 am

I am currently teaching in Thailand. In short, jobs are easy to get especially if you already have teaching qualifications and experience. Pay is not great. You can, however, make draw a decent income if you are willing to subsidize with private one-on-one or group tutoring. This can require evening and weekend work.

Best of luck!
jobje3New Member

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:32 am

Sawasdee Krub,

I've been living and working in Thailand (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) for almost 5 years now and I can totally recommend it. I have done different kind of jobs over the last couple of years. I did some teaching in Bangkok and now live in Chiang Mai doing website design.

The life in Bangkok is very pleasant if you can stand the big city life. The cost of living is something that is entirely up to you. You can choose to eat 30 baht noodles or a 3000 baht 5-course dinner. You can rent a 2000 baht/month studio room in a student flat, or you can rent a 100,000 baht/month penthouse on Sukhumvit Rd. I was on quite a low salary back in Bangkok, so I kind of had to live a cheaper lifestyle, which was still much more enjoyable than the lifestyle I was used to back home.

Goodluck on this amazing journey! 8)
chasdapperJunior Member

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:05 am

It's becoming increasingly difficult to find decent teaching jobs in Thailand as competition for posts is so high. The European and American downturn has meant ever more people are coming to Asia in search of work, and insecurity in Thailand is making it harder to accommodate them all.

That said, the teaching profession in Vietnam is booming at the moment—I've friends who are making big bucks over there as costs are low and they are not so strict about requiring degrees for work permits etc.. (this is a must for Korea/Japan).

I've also heard good things (anecdotally) about teaching in Cambodia as well, so Southeast Asia is definitely still the place to head for a great standard of living. :wink:

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!