Can anybody help us with advice?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
popskullNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Can anybody help us with advice?

Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:05 pm

Ok here's our story...My common-law partner and I met via the computer back in february of 2003..She is a Canadian, I myself am American..She came to the U.S. in August of 2003..She was with me in the states for 2 years..She became pregnant and we came to Canada in August of 2005..We had originally just came for a visit but with all of her family here we decided to stay and have the baby..Now when we crossed the border coming to Canada I was only given a temporary resident visa for a month...I applied for an extension which I recieved a week ago..It was applied for under special circumstances..Her parents had to sponsor me since she was unable to work and was out of country for 2 years...I was told that I had to apply for permanent residency in order to work here in Canada..Well from what I've seen on other sites about that is that it can take up to 2 years to get that..That is much too long of a wait..Things are really getting tough here and we wish to return to the states..Now for my questions..
By the way our son was born January 13th...

1. Is there an easy way for her to apply to be able to stay in the U.S.??
2. Will it be easy for our son to obtain status in the U.S.?
3. Would it be possible to go to the U.S. embassy here in Canada and find out what our options are..?
4. What type of applications or forms do we need..?
5. Is there any hope..??

Thank you for having a look...And any help youy can dispense...
Duncan_BCCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:30 am

1. get married
2. get your son's long birth certificate. Use it with yours to get your son an American passport.
3. They have a good web site
4. The web site lists the forms
5. What kind of work are you in? Can you support your wife in the US? Your son is American and Canadian so you don't have to prove sponsorship of him.
Good luck.
popskullNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks a bunch Duncan_BC..I was making a pretty good living working in a fiberglass container moulding plant..With extra income from a antiques booth and of course e-bay..I would have no problems supporting thm back in the states..What did you mean by "long birth certificate"? And are you talking the U.S. immigration website or....?? Thanks again..Very much appreciated.. :D

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!