Resumption of Citizenship

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
kn4ssNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Resumption of Citizenship

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:52 pm

Recently, January this year, I applied for resumption of citizenship. This week I received a letter from CIC rejecting my application. In part it states that I had automatic claim to citizenship when the Canadian Citizenship Act came into effect on January 1, 1947 by virtue of my being born in Canada on Jun 27,1933. However I ceased to become a citizen when I became a naturalized US citizen by naturalization in 1964.
In order to resume Canadian citizenship i must be lawfully admitted to Canada as a permenant resident and reside there for one year before reapplying for citizenship. However I read of many exceptions for resumptions for children and others applying for citizenship and am wondering if there are exceptions for persons like me. I would like duel citizenship status like others but do not know if I qualify. I was not aware of the laws back in 1977 or I would not have given up my Canadian citizenship. Do I have any recourse other than immigrating to Canada as an immigrant. I was born in Canada, served 8 years in the Canadian Military and dont feel that must immigrate. Perhaps I'm wrong?? I am not ready to move as of now but will be in the not to distant future.
Last edited by kn4ss on Mon May 08, 2006 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckAbroadSite Admin

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 am

Crazy. I'm not an expert or anything, but did they give you an option for appeal? CIC is so difficult. It's like if you just had the chance to speak with someone in person about your situation, you could probably make them understand.

Is there any chance you can get permanent residency?

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!