CREDIT HISTORY

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
shedsNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

CREDIT HISTORY

Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:30 pm

hello,
I am an American citizen who is marrying my girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen. She has filled for bankruptcy. I have great credit history. Will my girlfriends bankruptcy follow her to the U.S. and affect or ruin my credit in the U.S. She does not have a SSN at this time, but will get one soon after we marry.
thanks....
RobairNew Member

Re: CREDIT HISTORY

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:11 pm

[quote="sheds"]hello,
I am an American citizen who is marrying my girlfriend who is a Canadian citizen. She has filled for bankruptcy. I have great credit history. Will my girlfriends bankruptcy follow her to the U.S. and affect or ruin my credit in the U.S. She does not have a SSN at this time, but will get one soon after we marry.
thanks....[/quote]

I'm in the US (Kentucky) on a H1-B1 work permit. Canada has some kind of privacy law that actually makes it very difficult to get your credit history transferred to the States. I have the opposite problem, had good credit in Canada, moved south for a job opportunity. Now, as far as America is concerned, I have NO credit history. I didn't exist until one year ago. It might be different if you are becoming an American Citizen but as long as she isn't trying really hard to cut through red tape and bring her credit history with her, I think she will just be starting from scratch.
shedsNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:45 am

thanks for the reply Robair....as time goes on, we are learning that credit history doesnt matter and it really is like starting from scratch like you said....thanks again!
BeverleyNew Member

Any Ideas

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:43 pm

I have the same issues as both of you. I am a Canadian planning to marry an American. Do you have any advise as to how to start getting credit here. It's been a LONG time for me since i was in this situation. I have been told that getting a secured credit card would be a good start, but if i don't have to shell out any money to begin with i would be much happier.
shedsNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:01 pm

hi Beverley- well, the only thing i can suggest, which is what i'm doing is, after we get married, i will get a spousal credit card in my name...i think thats the easiest way to establish credit if your hubby is willing to do that..
i havent tried applying for my own credit card...maybe they will give you one with a low limit to start. have you tried that? i dont have a SSN yet so i know i cant apply for one. i'm hoping after we get married i can get the SSN, start working and get on with life.
jimmperryNew Member

moving girlfriend to US from Canada

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:16 am

I need info/help. I want to move my girlfriend down to the States from Canada. Marriage hasnt been discussed (seriously anyway) but If things work out in another 6 months or so, Id be very willing. Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this. What needs to be done, anyone have any past experience with this? I know she can come done for 3 months a time (well, I think this is correct). She will not be able to work, unless under the table. Just any suggestions or comments would help out a great deal. THANX
shedsNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:21 am

hey, well, i'm from Canada and i'm living in California with my b/f. he's actually my fiance now, we just got engaged. i moved here last summer and have not worked yet. i do volunteer work and have met alot of contacts that will be useful for when i am legally allowed to work. some already want to hire me once i get my SSN after i get married.
yes, your g/f can work under the table and she is allowed to come here as a visitor, no Visa required, for up to 180 days. make sure she gets travel insurance, i went with Blue Cross.
just be prepared to financially support your g/f because she wont be able to legally work without a Visa, unles its under the table, and i know people who've done that.
the easiest thing to do, in my opinion, and speaking from experience, is for her to just come here, as a visitor, get a ticket and travel ins for 180 days and then take it from there. by then, you should know whether or not you're both compatible enough to get married to each other....
most employers shy away from hiring someone who requires sponsorship to work because it costs them money and they have to give a valid reason as to why they are hiring a foreigner over one of their own. unless the employee has outstanding credentials, it'll probably take a long time to find work thru employer sponsorship. getting married to a US citizen is the easiest way to get legally employed here, in my opinion.
hope this helps....good luck.
jimmperryNew Member

Thanx, but...

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:01 am

Yeah, thanx for the info. Thats what we PLANNED to do. However, I screwed up. I went for a vist last week. Coming home I decided to put some of her stuff in my car (clothing, personal items). I got stopped at the border. They asked who the female clothing belonged to. I said a friend. They asked where she lived. I said US. They took me into a interigation room and brought in some stuff they found in my car (paper work with her name on it). So, they caught me in a lie, threatned to arrest me, and said if I try to bring her across the border, Id be arrested. Now they have her name, and even though they didnt tell me she was banned from US, Ive got a good idea she is. She'll try to cross over with friends next week, but Ive got a feeling she will be denied. Our own stupidity, having paper work in my car about her, but I didnt even think about it. It sucks cuz I wanted to UPS all her stuff over, but one little mistake, and game over. So, nothing I can do till she tries to cross.
Reba

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:58 am

going to the US with intent to marry and stay there without having the correct visa is fraud and you could both get yourselves into a lot of trouble. Even "working under the table" is illegal and could get her deported. No matter if people do it all the time, its not legal.

I suggest you check out the http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm USCIS website for the paperwork for a K1 fiancee visa, and http://www.visajourney.com for a message board with lots of info of how to go about it the correct and legal way.
Last edited by Reba on Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wajasspikeNew Member

Credit Reports

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:44 pm

When we were looking for a new house to rent, I managed, through a great deal of effort, to get my Canadian credit report, since I don't have a history in the US (even after 4.5 years).
I used that to get approved for the rental.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!