CREDIT HISTORY

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
Reba

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:05 pm

to move your credit down to the US, if you have not yet left Canada and if you have an AMEX card, they let you transfer it to a US$ account from your CAD account. Sometimes even with the US equivalent credit limit :)

If you don't have AMEX and only bank or store credit cards, it may prove more difficult, but there is a credit bureau company that shares credit info across the border, most banks are just too lazy to go and look up a Canadian credit history :p
bugchickNew Member

credit history

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:07 pm

I thought I researched everything prior to taking a job in north Texas. One thing I didn't count on was the lack of transfer of my credit history. It sounds like some of you have experienced the same frustrations. Any words of advice to a Canuck who's just moved down? The USD visa's a great idea....wish I knew to do that before coming down here! I've been turned down for just about every major, minor and department store credit card, as well as prevented from getting a cell phone (without shelling out a $500 deposit!).....

Anyone in here from the Texas panhandle or surrounding area?

bugsy :)
hockeymomNew Member

credit history

Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:22 am

HI we (husband and I)are Canadians new to the states & have a disagreement with a creditor in Canada. They are saying that if we do not pay them what they want they will sue us & mess up our US Credit History. Is this possible? How can they affect our US credit rating without having our "Socials"?
Sleuth22New Member

girlfriend's bankruptcy

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:45 pm

When I moved to the USA in 1997 to attend graduate school I had 15 years of credit history in Canada, but the US credit card companies refused to count this. Thus, I had to start from scratch in the US.

Based on my experience, it is more likely that your fiance will have difficulty establishing American credit status. However, since 9/11 and the establishment of the US Patriot Act, etc. I would think it's highly likely the US and Canadian credit card companies and governments are exchanging this kind of information (along with LOTS of other information that use to be strictly personal.) I doubt her credit rating would taint your credit rating, however, even if you got a joint account. I wouldn't sweat this.
Hope this helps.
Dee73New Member

Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:58 pm

I've been lurking here for a little bit and I decided to post on something I finally know about heh

I've been in Virginia for the past 9 years. I had EXCELLENT credit in Canada, as soon as I came here everything was wiped clean :( I can't even get a freakin' CC...it's depressing lol

My SSN# starts with a 225 and apparently as soon as that number is entered into a computer, a red flag pops up.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!