[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - I-129 petition

I-129 petition

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
padyak65New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

I-129 petition

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:03 pm

Reba

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:19 pm

joewindsorNew Member

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:12 am

My I129 was filed in Cal in April and it has just arrived at the Consulate in Canada - 6 months and I still have to get the other necessary docs and have an interview. I never realized it would take this long. If you have a degree you can apply to be a NAFTA professional while you are waiting for your adjustment to pass .right?
Reba

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:31 pm

no, if you are going to the US on a K1 visa, you cannot also have a TN visa. You have to get married within 90 days of entry, and then once married and you have your marriage certificate, you can apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS) and your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Generally, the EAD will take 90 days from the time you send in the app. Rarely longer, and if you don't have it in 90 days, you can go to the local office and get a temporary. During the 90 day wait time, you cannot work, or even volunteer. You have to sit around bored, no ifs ands or buts about it. BTDT. AOS will take anywhere from a few months to just over a year, depending where in the US you are. Mine took about 9 months from the time I sent the app, til I got my interview and green card. I interviewed in Charlotte, NC.

So, once you enter the US on a K1 visa, the quicker you get married, the quicker you'll be able to apply for AOS and EAD, and able to work. In some states, you can't even get a driver's license until you have a Green Card, so do your homework before you get there, and expect to be bored. And broke.

For more info, check out the site I linked earlier. It is entirely devoted to marriage based immigration to the US. If at the time of your Green Card (AOS) interview, you are married 2 years or less, you will receive a 2 year conditional green card. At 1 year and 9 months you will have to apply to remove conditions. If at interview you are married more than 2 years, you should get a 10 year green card.

After 3 years of permanent residency status (green card) then you can apply for citizenship, if you so desire. But if you do that, you have to file taxes to the IRS til you die. Even if you move back to Canada permanently.
joewindsorNew Member

Thanks Reba

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:14 am

For the love of God, I have to give up shreddies? Once again proof that I truly love my fiance, maybe I could mention it in my interview.

I also can't work on a TN visa, thank you Brian Mulroney. I really have a hard time with that one because the two don't seem to relate. What if I was working on a TN visa and then got married - I'd have to give up my job?

Thanks for the brutal truth Reba
Reba

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:14 pm

Nope, there's no Shreddies here. There's a couple of close imposters, one is organic and made by Cascadian Farms available in some stores, and Chex now has an all wheat square, but, no Shreddies. I order them from CanadianFavourites.com

If you were here on a TN visa and met someone and married, then you can adjust status directly from that, without having to give up your job. AFAIK. However, having a TN visa and applying to adjust, is not having 2 visas at the same time. They're considered 2 different animals. With a K1, you are considered a "non-immigrant" and during the in-between when you're waiting for you green card, you're pretty much a second class, slightly above illegals ;)

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!