[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Getting Green Card after Marriage

Getting Green Card after Marriage

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
DPGNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Getting Green Card after Marriage

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:20 pm

Reba

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:06 am

ClaudineNew Member

Getting married in the U.S.

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:14 am

I would highly suggests you to not rush to Las Vegas to get married before all your paper works are in order. It may sounds discouraging at first, but in the end, if you wish to be married forever, even if you have to wait another year, it will be worth it. If you do enter in the U.S. with the intention of getting married without the proper documents, you could be refused the right to get your green card, therefore, stay and work legally in the U.S. The immigration services are VERY strict about their procedures but they are also very efficient nowadays. It took us 7 months for me to get my fiance visa from the moment we applied for it to the moment it was delivered in Montreal. Then my husband and I got married in Vermont (going to be a year in January 2007) and we moved to Baltimore where we're now living. From what the previous message says about it: it is VERY true that customs agent could refuse you the right to enter the country to get married if you do not have the right paperworks. You have to remember that Canadians do not have the right to come and go in the U.S. as they wish, it is a priviledge. If you think it doesn't happen, think twice, I know a lady who's daughter was stopped at borders and couldn't go back to the U.S. for months and months because she didn't have the right paperworks. I know this e-mail may not be the most encouraging one at first sight but it is in the way that sooner than later you'll be living a happy life with your husband if you go through the process the proper way. USCIS haven't stopped impressing me with their fast replies.
DPGNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:23 am

ClaudineNew Member

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:25 am

Well, the reason why they are so strict regarding this issue is that the authorities, here in the U.S., are worried of illegal immigration which is a big problem in this country, not only from the Mexican border as we tend to think but also the Canadian one. If you really intend to go back to Canada after getting married in Las Vegas, then I would just say that you're going on a short trip to Las Vegas and not mention you being married. This way, you are not lying as you are really going there for a short trip and are coming back to Canada afterward. And they do not have any reason to think you might try to stay in the country illegally. I know it sounds strange to only say this especially when you will be feeling so happy and excited and feeling like telling the whole world about you getting married but it just takes one zealous person to stop you and change your plan. I have learned that the least you say when sticking to the truth is better. When I was telling people at border that I was going to see my boyfriend, they were asking me plenty of questions. In the end, while I was waiting for my visa and still wanted to visit my now husband, I was saying I was visiting a friend and it was WAY better. Hope this will be helpful and that you'll have a lovely marriage in January!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!