Importing car with no TPMS - advice

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
clbuckNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Importing car with no TPMS - advice

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:50 pm

We have a VW Golf bought in Canada but probably made for European market because it has no TPMS. According to all the websites, we cannot import it. But we got it imported without installing a post-market TPMS!

Advice: get a Statement of Compliance from the manufacturer, it should say that it has no TPMS. Then phone a US Customs and Border Protection office and speak to someone. If they say "no", then phone another office and try again. Do not try to import the car at the border: their officers are very grumpy.

We went to the CBP at the airport in our US city. The first time I went to the office, the officer said we had to get it imported through a broker. No broker I contacted was helpful. I then phoned that office and spoke to a different officer who investigated and sent me an email saying it was ok to import "for personal use". When I went back to the officer, I made sure to ask for this officer.

So if at first you don't succeed, try again!
Hunt2015New Member

Re: Importing car with no TPMS - advice

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:40 am

HI CLBUCK

Thanks for info. I'm running into a similar issue. What office did you call?
PaulparsNew Member

Re: Importing car with no TPMS - advice

Post Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 am

I'm dealing with the same issue right now. Which city did you go to? Did they see the letter stating that FMVSS 138 (TPMS) was not compliant?

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!