Canadian wanting to move to the US

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
kelsiex0New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Canadian wanting to move to the US

Post Fri May 08, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm sure this question has been asked 100s of times on here but I wanted to open a new forum for myself. I am a 23 year old Canadian, I am going to school to be a nurse and when I am done I would love to move to the states. As of yesterday I have been with my American boyfriend for a full year, back and forth traveling has become a lot and with me in school in Canada and him working in the states it has become complicated. I am wondering what steps would I have to make to move to the states? (florida to be exact). I know it definitely doesn't happen over night so I have given myself a 2-4 year span to plan everything out. I don't want to be forced to get engaged just to move there, I want it to mean so much more when the time comes. Would it be best for me to apply for a working visa? study permit? what is the quickest easiest way? Anyone I can talk to in my city about things, sites I can get info from etc, I do eventually want to apply for my citizenship so give me all the details and information please & thank you!! :D
TIB217New Member

Re: Canadian wanting to move to the US

Post Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:32 am

One of the first things you need to do is graduate. You won't be able to do too much until you graduate and pass a licensing exam. As far as I'm aware you need to do these things after you graduate:

1.Pass the NCLEX for the Florida State Board of Nursing.
2.Get something called a Visa Screen from www.cgfns.org - this will prove your education is the equivalent of the USA nursing education
3. Find an employer in the Florida
4. Research all you can about how to make sure you have the right documents at the border when you apply for your TN Visa status.
TIB217New Member

Re: Canadian wanting to move to the US

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:25 am

Sorry - I should have explained that better - no - the NCLEX is the same whether you take in Maine or in Arizona - but she will need to pass it to be registered on the Florida State Board of Nursing. I was suggesting Florida simply because she said that's where she specifically wanted to move.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!