So, you want to move to the States eh?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
brownieg_11New Member

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:11 pm

I have a cousin who just bought a liquor store about a year ago with another one of his cousins who lives in the states. At first the store was legally in the usa cousins name, but now my cousin went over there and added his name to everything too. He has yet to get a visa or anything, but plans on getting a e-2 visa, i was wondering is he legally able to work at his store or not. He told me that its not a problem, as i am currently looking to buy a liquor store myself?
PWHNew Member

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 am

"as Canadians we can visit the US for up to 6 months at a time, or per calendar year, whichever comes first. During that time, you are considered a Visitor, and not eligible to work. At all. Not even telecommute to a Canadian job over the internet. You cannot work in the US unless you have a work permit. Even for a foreign employer."

I would like to know where it is stated that a Canadian (or any non-American for that matter) cannot bring work to do while in the US. There are two cases: employed & self-employed. I am sure many persons, e.g., self-employed consultants, would do this. How in the world does that jeopardize any American's employment - presumably the intent of the laws?
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:08 am

Ask a CBP next time you cross the border.

The law is the law. Unless you have a work permit, you cannot legally work while on US soil. Sure, lotsa people do it, but if you tell them at the border when you're going in that you plan to work while there, they will turn your ass around and send you home. And then any subsequent attempt to visit, you will be sent to secondary inspection and grilled for a couple hours.
indywrestlerNew Member

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:41 pm

So it says 6 months per calendar year.. does this mean January to December? For instance If I went there in September would I have to leave by February? Or would it re-start in January and I would be okay staying there until June? Thanks for your help!!
indywrestlerNew Member

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:29 pm

So if I were to go to the US for 5 months, and then go back to Canada, would I still be able to enter and exit the US, and spend up to 30 days in the US at various times throughout the year?
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:01 am

on paper yes.

USCBP could however refuse your entry if they feel like it.
ponybarrieNew Member

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:48 pm

right now I stay at America to take care of my father who is 85 years gonna be 86 years old. I entered State in Sept, 2009, that's mean I only can stay till March, 2010. But father need someone to take care his daily living. I don't like to ask for in-home provider service,I'd rather take care my father by myself.

How can I stay longer to take care of my father then?
ponybarrieNew Member

Post Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:23 am

thanks for your comments, I just wonder if there is anyway that can help me stay loger, I don't want to see my old father live alone, what if he fall or something happen.
I'd rather be with him once he still alive, be with him as long as I can.
bantam88New Member

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:57 pm

My wife was petitioned by her father back in 1992 as a family class immigrant.

Her case has since been reclassified to a married child of a US citizen from a single child of a US citizen. My children and myself have been appended to the petition. It seems that her case will be coming up for an interview date with the US consulate in Montreal in the near future (probably April or so) and we have already been asked to submit the DS-230s, police clearances etc.

It doesn't seem like there is any big hurdles or problems with the petition so we hopefully anticipate obtaining the immigrant visas.

I wanted to ask in general what most people do with their financial dealings here? I understand I will be subject to an exit tax (I believe it is more like they tax you earlier?). I wonder what would be best to deal with the RRSPs and RESPs we have here? We own no real estate so that would probably be our foremost concern. Is it generally best to liquidate and take the tax hits before departing for the US? I understand RRSPs are covered under a tax treaty but you still have to declare them in the US and some US states still tax them even if the federal level exempts them (intention is to settle in Arizona and it does have a state income tax).

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.
bantam88New Member

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:14 am

How about my children's RESPs? I understand there is no tax treaty to deal with them?

I guess my information is a bit dated if California is the only hold out state left then.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!