So, you want to move to the States eh?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
kjdunhamNew Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:18 am

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:24 am

Hello all,
I am new to this site but with what I have been reading someone may be able to advise me a bit. I am a Canadian citizen born and raised, as is my fiance. I graduated from an American university with my Masters in May 2008 and have been back home working in Canada for the last year. (I did my undergrad in Canada). I have accepted a PhD position in the United States which is going to plant me there for the next 5 years starting in September.
As far as our wedding, we have been engaged for 6 monthes but due to the uncertainties of not knowing where I was going to go to school we never picked a date. We were long distance for the duration of my Masters degree and do not fancy doing that for 5 years. Should we do a courthouse wedding prior to me leaving? Should I get him an F-2 visa? And then he can travel to and fro to visit me? Will the F-2 make visiting/travelling with my stuff/travelling with our dog easier?
He has a good job in Canada so he isn't going to quit until he finds something in the States...will a US employer like the fact that he already has security clearance for an F-2?

Basically, will an F-2 help or hinder or do nothing for our current situation? Thank you in advance.

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 pm

From what I know of the F2, it is derivative of an F1 student for spouses and children. And not authorized to work. You'd have to be married first in order for him to get it, and as it is not authorized for employment, you'd have to show proof of funds/income to support him.

What sort of visa will you be getting? F1 I assume, since you're thinking of getting him and F2. But F1 is not authorized to work either, AFAIK, except maybe part time on campus, so I don't know how you'd support yourselves.
vannyNew Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Dear Reba

I have been working hard to move to USA. I attended to an university from 2000 to 2004 and graduated with an associate degree. It didn't meet the requirements for TN visa and other visa. There were no chances. Last year, I landed a job in USA, however, my degree isn't bachelor degree and the employer couldnt sponsor me. It gave me a huge disappointment.

I am thinking of going to community college in Toronto to earn accounting degree and that could enable me to move and to work in USA (depending on TN visa or Hb1-visa)? Do you have any suggestions. I want to move to USA, i need a new life and can't stand the winter blues. I will do anything to move to USA (no america love), willing to pay thousands for green card (permanent resident). I have no immediate family (just uncles, aunts and cousins). Does companies sponsor anyone with accounting degree. Is bachelor degree required? I would love to hear your feedbacks. Thank you

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Well, as far as I know, you can't get a degree at a Canadian community college, you have to go to university for a degree.

If you want all the information about requirements for a TN, see the website

TNs are only temporary you realize that right? And they are not "dual intent" so it is a bit more than rather difficult to get a green card from a TN.
ONtoNYNew Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Thu May 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi all,
I am a Canadian Citizen looking to immigrate to the U.S (NY state) when I complete school. I have a Bachelor Degree in Biology and I am enrolled in Chiropractic College. I have a couple years to go before I finish. I intend to immigrate to the U.S as a chiropractor with my girlfriend who will be a Pharmacist. So she wont have a problem with NAFTA but I have no clue about my situation. Chiropractors dont seem to be mentioned anywhere I have looked.
Should I try to get an employment sponsorship from an associate position? I have no family in U.S or enough money to go on the basis of an entreprenuer. I am very lost and have no clue if I even have a chance of getting in, I really would like to move to the U.S but have no clue about how to get in? Any help and info is appreciated.

thanks all
AldaNew Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 10:34 am

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Thu May 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Oh Yeah !
Thanks for sharing the discussion on the same subject .......... : )
canuckgirlNew Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Thu May 14, 2009 11:29 pm

ok so i need help and yall sound like you know what your talking about :)
so i have been with my boyfriend for 6 months now. he lives in the states and i live in canada. We have decided that I will move down there since he has his schooling and such there. and well i really dont like the weather here in canada lol. anyways i dont have a degree or family that is in the states. we are having a hard time figureing out what type of visa i can get. If any of you can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated thanks <3

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Fri May 15, 2009 4:02 am

I'm afraid probably your only option is a marriage based visa.

See for information
VelvetteNew Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:20 pm

I have a small question.

Like so many others I have fallen in love with an American, it has been 8 years now and finally we decided its time to try and live together. I have been researching non stop about visa's and green cards, and have come to my wits end. Its all so frustrating really.

So my question is this, I live on a boardering city to Michigan and he lives about an hour away. I wonder, if it is legal to stay with him in his home but commute over the boarder to work in Ontario still without having to get some sort of visa.

I have been getting mixed answers from people, most have told me as long as I commute and don't work in the states it shouldn't be a problem going over the border every day.

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Nope, sorry, not legal. You will still require some sort of visa that would allow you to live legally in the US, otherwise eventually the border officials are going to get tired of seeing your face as you commute, and they'll deny you entry and tell you don't try again until you have the appropriate spousal visa.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests