So, you want to move to the States eh?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
MiladNew Member

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:19 am

Hi, My name is Milad, I have lived in Canada for over 14years now, and after going to see my friend down Florida, (for couple of times), I feel in love with the American's, life style.
And now For 2years I been doing homework, for me being able to move to U.S. under some sort of a status? (Visa)

But it's seem like for Canadian's to move to U.S. you have to be some sort of a Doctor or a high paying lawyer, or something?! Which is more frustrating than I can bear.

And every Canadian lawyer wants money for nothing. And of course they don't grantee anything. But they do grantee to get rich off people like me.
So that's out of the question. & the 2nd option that it seems everyone keeps on telling me over and over is?
To find an American job, and let the employer sponsor you. RIGHT?! That's way more difficult then it sounds. Mostly from across the country. With the one source of information that I have. (INTERNET)

I don't want to have to spend over 10grand for me being able to get a simple visa. As we all know, is not exactly cheap either to live in "Canada" I have no criminal record, and all I want to do, is: To move to U.S LEGALLY by myself! And yes, I am a Canadian Citizen. and I have a lot of Job experience but no actual post secondary schooling.

So does that mean? I need to go back to school? And study to become a brain surgeon first? Or is their a way that I can legally move to the States? without marrying a girl or finding a job from Canada first.
I have no problems of finding an American job, from within Canada, but once they find out you DO NOT have an American status, they usually don't want to deal with you!

Although like you mentioned you might not be an expert on this, but your information are very helpful.

And just a last question, Can I just go to U.S. Embassy down in Toronto (Canada) and ask them to approve me for a working Visa? Or that's out of the question too?

Thanks very much :o
[email protected]
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:02 am

Most work visas to the US require that you have a Univerisity Degree unfortunately. So unless you have a degree, and a US employer willing to sponsor you for some sort of visa, your options are extremely limited.
fibbidibooNew Member

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 am

I want to report contradictory information regarding the length of stay maximums for Canadians visiting the US. My Canadian fiance has been going crazy counting the days as she goes back and forth from our home in Florida to see her friends and family in Ontario. We have both been operating under the 6 month per year rule which is a hardship since she/we only want to be in Canada now for about 3 months of the year. I was told by an immigration attorney that the clock starts every time you cross the border into the US which means you/Canadians could be here much longer than 180 days/yr. without violation. Last week a US Border Patrol officer, two in fact, confirmed this so now we are confused all over again. Anybody know definitively?
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Nope, there is no "definitive", it is entirely up to the whim and mood of the CBP officer you happen across.
Lara_046New Member

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:08 am

HI Reba,
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my question...I am a Canadian citizen and was hoping to travel to California for 6 months. From my research I understand that can go for 6 months without having any type of visa as long as i am not working. I was planning on leaving at the end of Aug. (and was driving to California from Ontario). Would I be able to fly home after being in California for for 6 weeks? I was hoping to just come back to Ontario for a weekend for my convocation in Oct. I was told by a family friend that if you drive to the States you have to leave in a car and if you fly to the States you have to fly out when you leave as well.
Any help or other websites to check out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Lara
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:05 pm

What would you do with the car if you fly back? You can't sell it unless you export it, which requires some paperwork at the border.
Lara_046New Member

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 pm

I would just be leaving my car at the airport for the weekend
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:24 am

Off you go then. Doesn't matter how you arrive or depart and come back again. I've gone in by bus, and then left by car. And I've flown in and left by car. Doesn't matter.

HOWEVER, I will add a caveat that if you leave your Canadian car at a US aiport, and then fly to Canada and try to go back to the US in a couple/few days, they MAY deny you entry and then your car is stuck in the US and you're stuck in Canada.

We are allowed to visit the US for up to 6 months per year yes, but just because the law says we can, doesn't mean the US CBP have to let us! They could deny you entry based on suspicion that you are in fact immigrating without actually applying for it. Long stays are generally suspect, unless you're in you're 60s and retired with a trailer in Boca.

So if you have an alternate plan on getting your car back to you in Canada if you do get denied entry, go ahead.
Lara_046New Member

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:25 am

thanks so much for the help!
angelmayiNew Member

Post Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 pm

hii .. my name is angel.. i am from ontario.. i was wonderin if i can plz have some information about movin to the states .. i been doing some research on that .. but i seen to not be able to answear my quetsion... i wanted to move to LA with my bf.. while he goes to school there.. i am a canadian citizen .. i have family livin in the states .. and i love it there better then here .. i wanna be able to move up in life .. and not always have somethin come in my wayy .. the states is cheaper ill agree with anyone who says that ... soo i was wonderin if u can plz help me out here .. wats the quickest safest wayy to do this ??? i was plannin to do all this in january .. soo will it be possible to be done by this time ??

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!