[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - So, you want to move to the States eh?

So, you want to move to the States eh?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:14 am

LA certainly is not cheaper than Canada! I'll disagree with you there!

How old are you? Is your boyfriend American or Canadian? What relationship are your relatives to you who live in the States?

There's all sorts of information right here in this thread about moving to the States. You just have to read it.
AliveNew Member

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Hello Everyone! Newbie on the board. :D

Here is my little situation:

I am a Canadian working in US under TN Visa for the 3rd year.
Now I would like to apply for USA PR, and what would be the less hassle approch for the application.

Thanks!
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Like Dremani said, there isn't a no hassle approach to applying for permanent residency in the US. You can either have your current employer petition for you, which they would have to prove that there are no Americans qualified for the job (in this current job market, that's rather difficult), and then IF the petition is approved, you have to wait for a visa number to be available, which could take up to 10 years. By which time, your TN has expired, and they're unlikely to renew it, given your immigrant intent. Which would then make your application null and void pretty much, because your employer is unlikely to wait 10 years until you're able to return to the US.

Or you can marry an American and adjust status. Which I wouldn't advise, unless you're actually in love with an American currently and already planned to be married.
junedejeuneNew Member

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

AliveNew Member

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

wow, big thanks for everyone who answered my question in such detail and concern.

Looks like I would have to plan ahead and do more research before I leap into the GR application.

Thanks everyone once again!
ncattonNew Member

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi Reba,

I am a Canadian citizen that is currently in California because of a girl. So far I have been here for 2 months. I have a degree in Civil Engineering so my plan was to come to California, get a job offer for a Civil Engineering job, and then get a TN Visa. So far I haven't found a job but I am wondering if what I am doing is illegal and can I get into any trouble? Also if I do find a job do I just have to leave the country and then come back in to get the TN Visa? Another thing is I am planning on going back to Canada in September with my girlfriend for a week and then coming back. At that point I will have been in the US for 11 weeks. Do you think I will have a problem getting back in?

Thanks
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:18 am

You cannot legally look for work in the US while here on tourist status.

You have to apply/receive TNs at a border crossing, you cannot apply for them within the US.

Unless you have ties to Canada (job, home etc) it is unlikely that they will let you back in after you leave in September. Especially if you are travelling with your US citizen partner.
ctsun1127Junior Member

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Are you allowed to work in the US for free? Ie. if I'm Canadian but want to work at a company for 6-12 months WITHOUT them paying me ANYTHING.
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:10 am

you would still need a work authorized sort of visa.
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

There's a book available at probably every book store chain in Canada called The Border Guide. I believe it gets updated with any new tax laws and treaty changes.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!