[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - So, you want to move to the States eh?

So, you want to move to the States eh?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
ctsun1127Junior Member

Re: So, you want to move to the States eh?

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:32 am

What happens the company that applies for your H1B, you stop working there after a month or two? Does that void the H1B, or can you look for work elsewhere?

Furthermore, can one company apply for an H1B for me but I work somewhere else?
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:56 am

No, you have to work for the company who is sponsoring you. If your employment has terminated, then they will withdraw the sponsorship petition. Why would they sponsor you if you're not working for them, that would be silly.
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:49 pm

And there is nothing precluding a US CBP to deny a TN applicant if they just happened to "incidently find a job" while on vacation. ;)
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:11 am

And I'm sure lawsrlaws would agree with me, that any time anyone tries to enter the US for *any* reason, it is entirely up to CBP whether or not that person will enter. Doesn't matter what a TN or other visa application says, entry to any foreign country is a priledge, not a right. And if CBP suspects any wrongdoing on the part of the applicant/traveller, they can deny the application.
floridarentalNew Member

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Greetings from Florida. We own an oceanfront vacation rental studio in beautiful Sunny Isles Beach..Our rates are affordable. The property is very clean and everything is provided. Thanks
Alexandra86New Member

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi there,

I'm a 23 year old Marketing Graduate (College Diploma) but currently working in the insurance industry as a licensed insurance broker. I am determined to move to the states one way or the other. Here's my deal:

- I was born in Russia and qualify to play in Green Card Lottery. So here's my one in a million chance.

- I could go to college in LA - they require you to have $15,000 as you enter. But, as everyone says I cannot really work legally unless i get a cash job and get myself in trouble.

- I have no problem finding a job who will sponsor me in the insurance OR marketing industry. The problem is there is nothing on that TN list about insurance brokers or marketing coordinators. I have a friend in US that owns a decent sized company and wants to sponsor me. Will they turn me down with my Marketing Diploma and insurance brokers license? Is there any other visa i can apply for with my qualifications?

And also, if that wouldnt work.... I heard of a disaster relief insurance claims adjuster occupation that is approved for TN Visa. I could go to school for claims adjusting - but i never heard of Disaster Relief adjusting here in Toronto and have NO idea where to even apply to school for that specific field!!

I've started my research and your thread has been of much help to me! I was gonna go to the lawyer but again... do not want to pay for nothing. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. :)
Reba
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:51 pm

if you qualify for the green card lottery, why not apply?
Alexandra86New Member

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 am

Reba,

I am applying. So is the rest of my family. But as i said, I am not sure how big the chance of winning is.

I was thinking of applying for TN visa as well, b/c i could find a job to sponsor me, but "marketing diploma" is not on the list of acceptable professions and i would like to know if there is a loophole i can go around this list?

Thats why i kind of feel confused. WOuld my other option be to sign up for a management consultant or hotel manager classes? (those ARE on the list)
MC
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:23 pm

Your chances for TN with just a Marketing diploma are slim to none, as you have discovered studying the list of eligible NAFTA occupations. Your chance of obtaining an H1B is reasonable down the road if you can acquire some additional work experience.

There are no TN-1 loopholes, you either have the education or you don't. If your wish is to pursue opportunities via NAFTA, then your best bet is to study the list wisely and acquire additional education to meet eligibility requirements.

For Hotel Manager, you will require at least a diploma (in the field) and 3 years of related work experience or a baccalaureate degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management.
jijaybajayNew Member

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:51 am

My brother in-law got his Green Card Lottery last year. And it took him about 3 months to get him a decent job. Decent job here means that he could make a living for his wife, a baby and himself.

And by the way he got a bachelor in architecture.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!