[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - New US Immigration Forum!

New US Immigration Forum!

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
Reba

Re: New US Immigration Forum!

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:44 pm

You should have done your research before you started moving all your stuff across the border. Basically, you've entered the country illegally, with intent to stay.

You *could* get married NOW and apply for adjustment of status, HOWEVER, you do risk being denied because at your last entry you basically lied to the border officials, and there is likely record of that. Applying for adjustment of status from a tourist status (btw, it is illegal for you to work from home in the US for a Canadian or other employer if you do not have US work authorization) if you severed ties to your home country before your last entry could result in deportation and being banned for life. If that is something you want to risk, go ahead, get married and then apply.

If it is NOT something you want to risk, leave the US and go back to Canada and start the process properly. You can either get married now in the US and return to Canada and do the CR1 spouse visa, or you can return to Canada unmarried and do the K1 fiancee visa.

For more detailed immigration information go to the website . ALL the information you need is there in the forums and in the Guides etc etc etc...

I wish you luck.
sovrgn90New Member

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:10 am

sorry if this one belongs somewhere else, but I have a variation on this situation.
As a Canadian citizen, living and working in Canada currently, I am wondering about moving/purchasing a home in the US while still working in Canada
I am being relocated to St. Catharines ON, for work, which is very close to the Niagara Falls/Lewiston, NY area. In looking around, I have noticed that homes are much cheaper on the US side, close to the Queenston/Lewiston Border crossing - all in all with the crossing it is still only about 30K to this office from there.
Although NY prop tax is incredibly high for the value of the homes, I am still considering the concept of buying a home there and commuting across to the office - Lewiston NY is a lovely little town on the Niagara river.
but I am wondering about Health care, taxes, residency issues etc.
I don't think I would be on the hook for US income tax, as i will not be working there, and I am salaried in Canada so all that is deducted up front.
not sure about the rest of it all though
and that bridge crossing can be a nightmare whenever Customs on either side gets excited about something.
I am really amazed at the prop tax - up to 3-5 ooo on a home worth only 120-140K. That's much more than on the Cdn side comparitively. But i guess it substitutes for lower sales tax etc.
Reba

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 am

You'll need some sort of residency visa to allow you to live on the US side.
poohenNew Member

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Heres my situation, I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend is an Us citizen.
I want to move there, but after looking at every single site online they all give me different information. I have an canadian passport and from what I read I can stay up to 6 months in the US. but is that per visit or per year?

I know I cant move there just like that, We are thinking about getting married, but the processing time for that paper work is longer than the time I can stay in America. like the user previously said, should I overstay and change my status once I get the paperwork back? or go back to Canada and might not be able to come back in the US.

Also, is there a Petition or a way to get sponsor for him to pay for EVERYHTING. I will not be working. Is that even possible? Him to sponsor me to become an immigrant of the Us? should I apply from Canada or once I am over there?

Anyone has a solution for me?
Thank you very much for any helpful information.
Its getting really stressful.
Thanks for the help.

:(
Reba

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:10 am

For marriage based immigration information to the US see http://www.visajourney.com
farzadNew Member

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:03 am

Hi All,
Could someone please tell me if a Canadian citizen working in States with H1B can commute for their university studies in Canada?
Thank you so much
Farzad
Reba

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:01 am

don't see why not. H1B is multiple entry.
mbotrossNew Member

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:38 am

When reapplying for a TN that was recently rejected is it advisable to return to the same POE or is it better to go a different one? I know that US officials have all my information relating to the rejection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have done this 5 timesw now without incident.

Thanks!
Reba

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't think it matters either way, as long as when you go back to apply again, you have the missing paperwork or whatever it was they needed when they denied your last application.
mbotrossNew Member

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks, Reba. I ended up going to a different POE and it all went very smooth.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!