[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - New US Immigration Forum!

New US Immigration Forum!

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
pequenaNew Member

Re: New US Immigration Forum!

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 pm

I know this must be getting awfully tiresome to hear.

But I'm yet another Canadian with an American boyfriend. He's in Milwaukee and I also want to move there. Now, I stood outside and talked to the woman working the window of the American embassy in Toronto, but it seems she hadn't given me all the information I needed.

I'm, again, lost in a sea of information and am still somewhat lost on how to go about getting started. I've got information on the marriage route covered, I've been talking to someone who came over here from Australia and she went the K2 visa route and is a chockful of information that way.

However, I don't think marriage is going to be my route, at least not yet. I'm driving in with him next month and I'm going to be looking for work there while I stay with him. I've also been looking really, really hard online. I know the best option is TN status, but I'm not quite sure that will apply to me. I did go to a post-secondary institute in Toronto (so I have my diploma) for advertising and streamed creative (writing in particular) but I'm not very experienced in the field and am terribly, terribly worried that I won't be able to find a job in my field and thus not be able to apply for TN status. I've got friends, and my boyfriend, trying to help find me work, but even then! What do I apply for if I get the job? At that point I've got proof of employment, but then which of the many visas do I file? I-765 doesn't seem to apply, and I-129 doesn't seem to apply either since I already need to be working a job.

Now I know I can't just drive in with what is clearly A LOT of clothing and shoes and DVDs without someone at the border getting suspicious, so what do I tell them? Because I know if I don't find a job, I'm coming right back to Canada, I'm not going to abuse anything and, just, stay. I've been working a part time job here but I barely get any hours and things won't change too much when I quit. So that's not too much of an issue. I guess in the larger picture, I'm visiting my boyfriend for longer than I normally do. However....I don't want to lie to them about me looking for a job. What do I say when I'm at the border??

I am completely broken with all of this stuff, honestly...the more I think about it, the more I just want to break down and cry!
King DavidNew Member

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:16 am

Hello everybody!,
My name is David and i think my situation is the most complicated! :shock:
I lived in US for about 5 years and yes i have a SSN, bank account and a degree from the US. i left to visit my family in Canada then i went and played pro ball in Europe but now i really want to go live in US! i was wondering if will have any advantages due to me having things that other Canadians don't have!????...
2CrownsNew Member

Tax Problem

Post Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:21 am

I have been retired and living in the U.S. with a green card for a number of years now. I have been paying taxes on my pension to the U.S. gov't. Now for some reason my former employer is saying they must withhold 15% of my pension for Canada Revenue. They are also telling us to pay over $7,000 for withholdings not made for 2007. I have paid my taxes in the U.S. for all the years I have been here. Can anyone explain this to me?
msc1971New Member

Overstayed in US

Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:47 pm

vancouvernewyorkNew Member

Post Sun May 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has a clear understanding of how US customs detect Canadians who has overstayed in US on a B1 visa.

for my case, I came in US on as a visitor on B1 visa which expires Aug 2008. At that time the custom officer did not give me an I94 form. I was not aware of the fact I have to retun to Canada every 6 month to avoid overstay issues. I'm wondering if the US custom would pick this up. I'm planning on coming in to USA on H1b Visa for work.

technically, if there's no I94 form, custom cannot verify if I overstayed or not...is this true? thanyou for anyone for any inputs....

everytime a Canadian travels accross the border, is there a record in the US custom computer system of entry?

thankyou for your wisdom...
cathieNew Member

Post Thu May 13, 2010 10:22 am

I have a question regarding immigration to US when you can support self and have no need of employment, pensions, etc. I have no one to sponsor me and am wondering just how possible it would be to move there. Thanks
ariosNew Member

TN visa working for the State of Florida?

Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with
the following. I am a Canadian citizen I have lived
as a grad student for the last few years in the US and graduated. I have applied for a job in an office of the state of Florida specifically in the Division of Plant Industry. If I get a job offer (and letter) and my profession is on the list of required professions can I get a TN visa at the border? Or TN visas do not contemplate to work for the state.

Thank you for any replies

Albert
JosephcremonaNew Member

how can I buy small US business and work there.

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 pm

I am a Canadian. I would like to buy a small business in a small US community and live there. Any body know the posiibility?
darkaceNew Member

Lost my Green Card need to travel back to Canada

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 am

Hello,

I have not been able to find my physical green card and I will need to travel to Toronto, Canada very soon. I have already applied for my USA citizenship but still waiting for interview date. Will I have any issues returning back into the USA at the border because I cannot produce my green card ? I do have a color copy of the card itself (back and front) that I can bring. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
darkaceNew Member

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I am pretty sure that the card was not stolen. I am pretty sure it is somewhere in my house just cannot find it. It is definitely lost. It takes a long time (several months) to get another GC plus the fees. By that time I probably would have gotten my citizenship already.

By going to the US consulate in canada, they could help me get back into the USA without my GC ? Thanks

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!