[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - New US Immigration Forum!

New US Immigration Forum!

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
tuckerNew Member

Re: New US Immigration Forum!

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi there

totally new to the site - hoping to find some answers
My husband is dual CDN /US citizen Im Cdn - we've been married 15 years
He has been living in Cda for 40 yrs

His company wants to transfer him to houston ...can he get a L1 visa if he has dual citizenship?
Because obviously the L1/L2 is a great route to go to get myself and our kids there ( they're US citizens too) from what I've read and I-130 take at least a year
thanks
NotMovingNew Member

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:50 am

Hi, sorry I'm not sure this is the right way of posting here. I just have a quick question:

If a Canadian citizen stays in the US as a visitor within the 180-day limit, is he allowed to earn pocket money from casual jobs without a work visa? Is there a maximum amount he is allowed? Say, $1,000-$5,000?

Thank you very much!
skhasriyaNew Member

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi All

I need some guidance here. I am currently interviewing a global IT company based in California and expecting a likely full time offer. They don't have the H1-B option are willing to take me in on a TN visa.
The field is Product Marketing requiring comp Engg and MBA. I searched NAFTA and was unable to find anything under Marketing. Does that mean i am out of options and wont be able to get a TN visa.

Please advise. I am a Canadian citizen and i dont want to lose this opportunity.

Thanks
Skhasriya
Hilary-RamNew Member

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:46 am

Hello!
ShimokitazwawJunior Member

Post Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:28 pm

One of my great grandmothers on my father's side (my father's mother's mother) was from Sacramento, California. She immigrated to Canada.

Is it possible for me to pursue U.S. Citizenship through a great grandparent?
kruarkfranCanuckAbroad VIP

Replica Cartier Watches, |_ Cartier Ballon Bleu De

Post Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:29 am

<strong><a href="http://www.extowners.com/">imitation watches</a></strong>
<br>
<strong><a href="http://www.extowners.com/">fake watches</a></strong>
<br>

[b][url=http://www.extowners.com/]rep
freedom1CanuckAbroad Regular

Re:

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 am

AyanooshNew Member

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:39 pm

My TN VISA experience!

A little background story. I'm Canadian and my boyfriend is an American Resident. We've been dating for ages and he purposed while I was visiting him in the US and taking a few months off to travel throughout the US (in between work contracts). Long story short we got married and he filled an i-130 petition. Our priority date (when we can adjust my status wasn't available for years so I returned to Canada).

I learned about TN visa and applied for a few positions that would fall under management consultant. I have a four year University degree (Commerce in Business Administration with a minor in Information Technology and a minor in Marketing).

I got a job and prepared my application myself. I flew and my original flight was to arrive around 4pm (I told my employer to be on standby incase they call). N'ways, there was snow storm and flight was cancelled and I was put on a later flight that arrived in Chicago around 7pm.

I was told to go into one line and when I approached the agent she asked 'first time applicant' , I said 'yes' and she told me to go wait in another room. As I'm walking into the room she yells "you're in the wrong line".

I waited in that room for approx 10 minutes (long enough for the lines from the flights that landed cleared). The same agent told me to come see her and had THE worst attitude. She asks 'Where will you be working, what position). She puts my name into the computer and it shows that I am married to a US resident.

At this point there is no one at customs except me and four other agents. She is talking loudly to the other agents saying things like "my problem with the NAFTA agreement is that Canadians can come and work in the US for 50$, I don't have a problem with you, I have a problem with this process" . I didn't say anything and she says "you're married to a US resident, your intention is to get a green card" I reply "we filed an i130 and our priority date isn't for a few years, my intention is to get work experience" I ask her if she would like to see the documents i have which were the following:

1. Offer letter
2. A diploma and a certificate
3. Four reference letters from previous employers confirming my past work experience.
4. A very detailed resume (showing contract lengths and work done).
5. Sealed transcript
6. Three training and operational manuals I created from previous contracts.

She opened my transcript and laughed at my grades (I was a computer science major to start and hated it and had a C- average with a few courses dropped in the first year). N'ways she asks me "how did you ever get a job with grades like this" She is saying this out loud so the other agents could hear. I didn't say anything and then she laughs again and says "shocking' (what i really wanted to say was "no one has ever asked me for proof of my diploma or transcripts and I've been working since 2006"). I reply saying I'm really good at what I do and people like working with me" She responds by saying "people hire you because they like you" I said, "I can work with a wide range of people and have them agree on a solution". She looks through the offer letter and my resume (briefly). She then goes into the same room I was waiting in at the start and comes back a couple minutes later (she was photocopying my passport).

When she comes back I can see her stamping my passport and angrily writing something on it (at this point I am assuming she is issuing my visa) but says nothing but looks at me with such hatred.

In an authoritative tone she says "come with me", I follow her out to baggage claim and she says "pick up your luggage". I continue to follow her and she passes my passport onto another officer and tells him "she has to pay $50 for work visa" and doesn't say anything to me. I say thanks and she doesn't respond.

I paid 50$ and went out of the airport.

I researched this process sometime last year when I considered working in the US. I have worked in Shanghai, South Korea, and Dubai. All the processes to work in these countries were easy to understand and clear. The flaw in the TN visa process is that CBP officers have final say and if they are bias in anyway towards Canadians or about anything else that is applicable to you you're shit out of luck. If they have had a bad day, you're screwed. Decision to get your TN visa comes down to them.

I am not saying they are awful, I've had good and bad experiences with US CBP officers. I've always been questioned a little longer because I've been to the middle east and lived abroad so I think my intention is always questioned. But I am usually very polite and don't give lip back. Keep in mind I am not capable of not saying something back to someone when they are being rude, insulting me, or belittling me. But I always take a few deep breathes when I have to deal with CBP officers to calm myself down.

So my advice to you is get your paper work in order (you really don't need a lawyer) and your experience might be better then mine in terms of how friendly the officer was. I have heard of people being interrogated for hours and their resume and offer letter being reviewed in detail. In my case, it didn't seem like she cared to take the time to read it.

I hope my experience helps someone else. There is lot's of information on how to prepare but little feedback from people if they were successful or not!

Thanks.

Relieved TN visa holder!
AyanooshNew Member

Post Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:39 pm

My TN VISA experience!

A little background story. I'm Canadian and my boyfriend is an American Resident. We've been dating for ages and he purposed while I was visiting him in the US and taking a few months off to travel throughout the US (in between work contracts). Long story short we got married and he filled an i-130 petition. Our priority date (when we can adjust my status wasn't available for years so I returned to Canada).

I learned about TN visa and applied for a few positions that would fall under management consultant. I have a four year University degree (Commerce in Business Administration with a minor in Information Technology and a minor in Marketing).

I got a job and prepared my application myself. I flew and my original flight was to arrive around 4pm (I told my employer to be on standby incase they call). N'ways, there was snow storm and flight was cancelled and I was put on a later flight that arrived in Chicago around 7pm.

I was told to go into one line and when I approached the agent she asked 'first time applicant' , I said 'yes' and she told me to go wait in another room. As I'm walking into the room she yells "you're in the wrong line".

I waited in that room for approx 10 minutes (long enough for the lines from the flights that landed cleared). The same agent told me to come see her and had THE worst attitude. She asks 'Where will you be working, what position). She puts my name into the computer and it shows that I am married to a US resident.

At this point there is no one at customs except me and four other agents. She is talking loudly to the other agents saying things like "my problem with the NAFTA agreement is that Canadians can come and work in the US for 50$, I don't have a problem with you, I have a problem with this process" . I didn't say anything and she says "you're married to a US resident, your intention is to get a green card" I reply "we filed an i130 and our priority date isn't for a few years, my intention is to get work experience" I ask her if she would like to see the documents i have which were the following:

1. Offer letter
2. A diploma and a certificate
3. Four reference letters from previous employers confirming my past work experience.
4. A very detailed resume (showing contract lengths and work done).
5. Sealed transcript
6. Three training and operational manuals I created from previous contracts.

She opened my transcript and laughed at my grades (I was a computer science major to start and hated it and had a C- average with a few courses dropped in the first year). N'ways she asks me "how did you ever get a job with grades like this" She is saying this out loud so the other agents could hear. I didn't say anything and then she laughs again and says "shocking' (what i really wanted to say was "no one has ever asked me for proof of my diploma or transcripts and I've been working since 2006"). I reply saying I'm really good at what I do and people like working with me" She responds by saying "people hire you because they like you" I said, "I can work with a wide range of people and have them agree on a solution". She looks through the offer letter and my resume (briefly). She then goes into the same room I was waiting in at the start and comes back a couple minutes later (she was photocopying my passport).

When she comes back I can see her stamping my passport and angrily writing something on it (at this point I am assuming she is issuing my visa) but says nothing but looks at me with such hatred.

In an authoritative tone she says "come with me", I follow her out to baggage claim and she says "pick up your luggage". I continue to follow her and she passes my passport onto another officer and tells him "she has to pay $50 for work visa" and doesn't say anything to me. I say thanks and she doesn't respond.

I paid 50$ and went out of the airport.

I researched this process sometime last year when I considered working in the US. I have worked in Shanghai, South Korea, and Dubai. All the processes to work in these countries were easy to understand and clear. The flaw in the TN visa process is that CBP officers have final say and if they are bias in anyway towards Canadians or about anything else that is applicable to you you're shit out of luck. If they have had a bad day, you're screwed. Decision to get your TN visa comes down to them.

I am not saying they are awful, I've had good and bad experiences with US CBP officers. I've always been questioned a little longer because I've been to the middle east and lived abroad so I think my intention is always questioned. But I am usually very polite and don't give lip back. Keep in mind I am not capable of not saying something back to someone when they are being rude, insulting me, or belittling me. But I always take a few deep breathes when I have to deal with CBP officers to calm myself down.

So my advice to you is get your paper work in order (you really don't need a lawyer) and your experience might be better then mine in terms of how friendly the officer was. I have heard of people being interrogated for hours and their resume and offer letter being reviewed in detail. In my case, it didn't seem like she cared to take the time to read it.

I hope my experience helps someone else. There is lot's of information on how to prepare but little feedback from people if they were successful or not!

Thanks.

Relieved TN visa holder!
jksm27New Member

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Hi everyone! I'm brand new here, so I'm just trying to get a feel for how it works and where to find the information I'm looking for. My story is that I married an American almost 9 years ago, and now my sister and her kids would like to move here to be with us. I've done some research and the only thing that I found that I can understand is the visa for siblings that takes about 10 years! Does anyone have any other ideas or advice for us? Thank you!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!