Importing Canadian Vehicle into USA - Not Fully Compliant

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
BananiNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Importing Canadian Vehicle into USA - Not Fully Compliant

Post Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently relocated to WA with my husband (he is on a TN visa and I am on TD). We have a car that we would like to import (it's a 2015 model). After purchasing the car, we received our manufacturer's letter of compliance, stating that the vehicle is not equipped with TPMS (as this is not a legal requirement for vehicles manufactured for sale in Canada). After speaking with multiple dealerships in both WA and Canada, as well as communicating with a RI (registered importer), we have learned that the vehicle cannot be retrofitted with TPMS (at least not for any reasonable amount of money).

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with importing a Canadian car to the US which is not equipped with TPMS. We know you can import it temporarily for the period of 1 year but then it must be destroyed or exported, but we are looking for a longer term solution (such as a way to import it for at least the duration of his 3 year TN visa).

As we have just recently purchased this car, it was pretty devastating to find out that we might have to sell it at a huge loss back in Canada so soon after purchase if we cannot import it.

Any information or tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!
mnkbNew Member

Re: Importing Canadian Vehicle into USA - Not Fully Complian

Post Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:57 am

Hi,

I am in a very similar situation as yours; however, not moved yet from Canada. Were you able to find a resolution on your question. I too got a letter from Hyundai Canada stating that my car does not meet FMVSS 138: TPMS. However, i went to Canadian Tire and they mentioned they will install on my vehicle if i can bring the parts. I queried with NAPA Auto and they have the parts. I believe the installation cost is around $800. I will let you know if i find more info. Let me know if you were able to further get more info on this.

Thanks.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!