Canadian wanting to extend a 6mth tourist visa

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
jakiibNew Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:26 pm

Canadian wanting to extend a 6mth tourist visa

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:31 pm

I am a citizen of both Canada and Australia. I came all the way from australia to travel around the states on my Canadian passport (getting myself a 6mth tourist visa).

I now want to stay in the US for a little longer and am wondering if anyone's had any experiences going back up to Canada and trying to get back in for another 6mths? How long do you need to stay in Canada before you will be granted another 6mth visa?

Is it worth trying to come back in on my Australian Passport?

I am hoping someone out there may have some good advice for me.
JulieNew Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Arizona

Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:23 am

Hi, Jakiib

You can stay the six months, go back to Canada, and re-enter the US again legally for another six months, with another visa, like you did the first time. I guess the process to get the new/second visa would take as long as the first one, but I don't know if you're allowed two six month visas in one year. I wouldn't try to get it in with your OTHER passport. Should the IRS notice, you'd be in trouble. Two things.

If you stay longer than six months without asking for an extension from the INS, you'd be considered an illegal alien. So, talk to them before the six months are up. Then you'll know for sure, and will also know what the procedure to get an extension is and see if it's worth your while.

Also, if you stay out of Canada for more than 183 days be aware that you've lost your residency there, with all that that implies.

jakiibNew Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:26 pm

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:25 am

Thanks for your advice Julie. I will do my research properly before making any decisions. I am not so worried about losing any residency in Canada as I reside in Australia where I was born but was lucky enough to be born to a Canadian Mother which resulted in my dual citizenship.

Your advice did help a lot though :)

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:18 pm

legally, you are only allowed 6 months in the US in any given year, it is possible to extend it I think, but you'd have to go find out from US immigration, and I'm not sure what's involved. I do think you would have to show proof of support in some manner, either personal savings easily available to you, or a US citizen willing to sign an affidavit of support for you.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot] and 0 guests