401k's, roth IRA's for Canadains living in US.

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
kgutahNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

401k's, roth IRA's for Canadains living in US.

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:37 pm

I am looking for some information on how to save for my retirement. I am not sure which country I am going to finish out my working days in, and I am not sure how exactly I can and should save for it prudently.

So:

Any financial planners out there? All my retirement is within the american tax structures and I am not sure this is a good idea if I plan on moving back to Canada to work where I have no retirement savings).

thks
kimthecanuk
Reba

Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:16 pm

check Canadian on-line bookstores for a book called "The Border Guide" its help for Canadians in the US and what to do about/with your money.

Do you have US citizenship, or just a green card? If you get citizenship, and decide to go back to Canada to live permanently, you still have to file US taxes every year. As a privlege of being a US citizen ;-) If you're just a PR tho, I don't think you have to, but I'm not sure on that.

That book will help tho.
Reba

Post Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:02 am

I also just yesterday learned that Canada and the US have a social security treaty, so whichever country you make contributions in if you move you still get benefits at retirement.

If you have made even one contribution to CPP, you may be eligible for those benefits at retirement. OAS however you must contribute to for at least 20 years, and can only do that if you are working and living in Canada.

I know that Social Security and CPP generally aren't a lot of money once you retire, but if you've paid into both, you still get payments from both, so that's something.
kgutahNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

thanks

Post Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:58 pm

thanks for your info.
What field do you work in/what do you read/who do you know to get all this info?

Kim
Reba

Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:37 am

I just found the info on the Revenue Canada and Human Resources Canada websites. All you need to find out this info is a computer with web access, or a telephone to call them and ask.

I'm currently unemployed.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!