[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
DStanburyNew Member

Re: Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:04 am

I just got the same answer. GM told me the car meets emission standards but doesn't meet US safety standards; however, they won't say why. Hard to understand why they would do this to their customers. Did anyone ever figure out what the shortcoming is?

David
leusgsNew Member

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:17 pm

Here's my situation.

1) I am in Calgary and have a 2006 VW Touareg TDI registered and insured in Alberta.
2) It is a U.S. vehicle originally, originally sold in Houston and imported to Alberta by the previous owner in 2010.
3) I own a house in AZ and plan to drive the Touareg there in April to stay for a month.

Selling prices in USD are stronger than they are in Canada. Can I sell the vehicle locally while there, then catch a 1-way flight back home? What process would I have to follow to ensure I'm not getting myself or the new owner of my Touareg in trouble!?
skamrans1New Member

Post Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:05 pm

This is is a fantastic thread. Thank you everyone for their valuable input. I've been here in US for over an year and now need to register my car. Once I fill out the forms required do I just take them to the department of public safety? I think my question is, what do I need to do with the forms once they are filled out.

Thanks,
Kamran
ainu.afnuJunior Member

Post Fri May 22, 2015 8:25 pm

I moved to NJ with TN two weeks back. I brought my ontario registered car here. I have not impotorted it. I am planning to buy a new car in NJ. Can I trade in my ontario plated car to buy the new car from the dealership?
ainu.afnuJunior Member

Post Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

jokealotJunior Member

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Sorry to bring up this old post, I have a question, I am on a I (media) visa, and is expecting to stay in US for 1~2 years, and likely will be back after that, I have a car purchased in Canada, could I NOT import the car to US and still driving in US for 1~2 years? Since I may need to import to Canada after 1~2 years, and that may be a pain again.
ggdogNew Member

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi,
I am a canadian citizen. I currently live in Toronto, and just got a job offer in Tex. We plan to move there in September 1st. I am moving in with a TN visa.
Before this happened, I had purchased a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe Xl, this car is less than 3 months old now. I also have financed it through the bank offered by the dealer for 7 years.
Anyways, my questions are:
-If I take the car to Texas, would I have to pay any taxes? (based on the previous posts, I assume not).
- Would I be able to register the car in texas even if the car is going through financing in Ontario? or would I have to pay the car before I move down ?

thanks,
Mafalda6New Member

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:52 am

Please help me I need to change my plates to US. I understand you have to take your car to the port entry and fill out 2 forms: HS-7 and EPA 3520-1; but also form 7501. The last form does it need to be fill out for me or the CBP will do it? Because it seems very complicated. Please anyone advise. My car it is been here in States for more than 1 year.
Sean22macNew Member

Post Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 am

My daughter is on an F1 Visa and has an I 20

She will need a car in California from September to June each year for the next 3 years. In the summer she may stay there or may drive it back to British Columbia.

Should I buy or lease a car in Canada and have her keep it down there? Can we buy or lease a car in the US and use it down there for the next 3 years?

Thanks for any input :)

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!