[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
CharlieNew Member

Re: Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi can I ask a related question? I'm moving to Michigan on a work contract (a TN work visa) and I'm driving to Michigan. Can I keep my Canadian driver's licence and car registration, as well as car insurance? I did talk to my insurance agent, State Farm. They said as long as Canada is my primary residence, I don't have to do anything and they will cover me as if I were in Canada. Does anyone know if this is true? I just want to be sure and don't want to get myself into trouble. Thanks!
ee12345New Member

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:46 am

Talked to a moving agent, they said the letter from mazda I had questions above is totally fine.

If I got it right they will handle just the transportation part (moving the car to North Caroline), where I should go to the local POE myself and finally import the car.

...BUT, they want me to fill customs form HS-7 and 3520-1, and they insist on me putting
on HS-7 answer 2B
"The vehicle was certified by its original manufacturer as conforming to all applicable ... standards and its original manufacturer confirms that the vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards ... except for the labeling requirements of Standards ... and I am importing it for personal use. [591.5(g)];"
instead of 2A "The vehicle or equipment item conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards..., and Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards, and bears a certification label or tag to that effect permanently affixed by the original manufacturer to the vehicle ..."

My car do have the labels attached by the manufacturer, and I did send the pictures to prove this. But the guys still insist on 2B - are they totally correct on this in accordance to the border practice?

Same for the EPA form 3520-1 - they insist on using code EE "Identical in all material respects to a U.S. certified version... imported for purposes other than resale or lease."
instead of B "U.S. certified ... EPA emission control label" which is definitely present on the hood.
- Are they right on this?

- Any Ideas on why the transporter needs these forms at all? Will these forms be "locked" by the US customs once the car pass the border?
marchcNew Member

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:59 am

Allow me to refer to a very professional - Ways Auto. This is Toronto base company, they ship car from USA to Canada and the other way, and their service is great. I recommend this company to all my friend, after trying them by myself!
davidboonNew Member

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi

I need some help.I bought my new car in US when I was living there, After 2 years I moved to Canada and now moving agian back to US. What I understood so far is that state( New Hampshire for me) , I need to go to DOT &/or DMV for registering car in US. Also I need to fill couple forms for US borders.( I will be going from Toronto to Boston side via Buffalo).

-Do all port of entries process car import back to US?
-ANy timings for these port of entries?
-I called Hyundai and they say letter of complaince not needed as car was built in US (2008)
-Also my Canadian registration has my old address(does not match to my recent address in Canada about 1.5 years old) , do I need to get new registration before I import? If I do with new date,will there be some questions>I called Ontario DMV they said normally they not issue new title/registration on address change but I can get it done if I come personally? Is that something I need to consider?

Again thanks for your input!
Andy
ee12345New Member

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Dear CanuckAbroad fellows and experts,

Current EPA Form 3520-1, now has the following in Fied 9 (where you put the importation code):
Importer (code B: must be certificate holder or their agent for shipments of new vehicles prior to introduction into commerce)

The actual code B text is unchanged "code B - U.S. certified - unmodified vehicle bearing as US EPA control label"

Does it mean it is impossible to import a used vehicle using code B?
Keke12Junior Member

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi all. Instead of starting a new thread, I think it might be better posting it here.

I am trying importing my Toyota Matrix '06 (Made in Canada) into the states. As I understand, I need a letter from Toyota Canada stating that the car conforms with EPA and NHTSA. But I called Toyota Canada yesterday and the agent said they do not issue such letters - they do not know if conforms or not since they don't track US standards), and suggested me doing the importation under box3 (using importing agent). I am not sure if he is telling the truth or not. Is the manufacturer required by law to issue such letter when requested? If not, where else to get such letter? Thank you very much.
Stevensj78New Member

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:45 am

Okay, I'm going to attempt to bring this thread to an end.

Please be advised this post is for vehicle imports for personal use. If you are importing your vehicle for resale, trade-in, or for any commercial purposes you need to find yourself a US Customs Broker to handle the import, you cannot do it yourself.

In order to import a Canadian vehicle into the United States, you must be able to prove the vehicle's compliance to US law. Compliance is proved in one of two ways. The first is the compliance letter from the manufacturer. All you Ford and GM vehicle owners can stop reading now and call down to your local dealer to request a letter, typically $200 for that. Ford can usually get that same day, GM it takes a few days so plan accordingly. All other auto manufacturers will not issue said letter for a variety of reasons, so in these cases you will require a 3rd party to prove compliance, those people being Registered Importers (RI).

*Full Disclaimer, I am an RI.

A Registered Importer is a business authorized by the US government to perform alterations to non-conforming vehicles to bring them into compliance and eligible for US import. The 2012 list of RI's can be found at the following link on the National Highway Traffic & Safety Act's (NHTSA) website, stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/Active%20RI%20list12282011.pdf

So, your next course of action is to find and contact the RI on the list closest to you. They will be able to further advise you as to the specifics of your vehicle.

Unless you have some weird, funky, foreign vehicle, its going to be importable with minor alterations. For example, in order to US compliant you need to be able to gauge your speed in MPH. It doesn't matter that the KPH are on the outside of the speedo, or that your odometer is in KMs. As with most Canadian vehicles, KPH is on the outside with MPH smaller on the inside of the speedometer, so long as MPH is on there somewhere its importable. Every so often we'll see some European vehicles with KPH only, and those we either have to have the instrument panel replaced by a dealership or we make modifications to the faceplate of the speedo. Most vehicles sold in Canada are also sold in the United States, often in the same plants. US & Canadian laws are so similar, manufacturers do not make them significantly different. In the US those are referred to as a "Canadian Identicals". So long as the same model of your vehicle is also sold in the US, you'll be fine. If not, your RI will advise you further.

I'll try and watch this thread for anyone with questions. Hope this helps.
enf2New Member

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi,

I will be entering the US on a TN visa (hopefully!!) early next week. I need to import my car.

Questions:

1. FYI, my car has a sticker on it stating it meets FMVSS.

On form 3520-1, I should check off code "EE" but the description states: "1) Canadian vehicle (proof required e.g. Canadian emission control label, registration or title, or letter from the U.S. or Canadian manufacturer representative on letterhead verifying manufacture for sale in Canada) on EPA list of Canadian "identical" models."

Is this saying I can just provide my registration? Or I still HAVE to have a letter from the manufacturer?

2. I'm kind of in a time crunch as I need to cross the border ASAP to get my visa, as the jobs starts soon. If I can't get the letter from my car manufacturer by early next week, will CBP let me cross with my car if I inform them I will import it fully once I'm in the state?

It appears as if my temporary import option is code "O" - "imported by nonresident for personal use by an individual for a period up to a year. EPA letter of approval must be attached to this form."

Is that what I need to do, and where do I obtain an EPA letter of approval?

Please help with any suggestions!

Thank you,

E.
SalexandNew Member

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Can anyone help? My daughter is going to the USA for 8-12 months on a j-1 visa as a research scholar. She is taking her 2006 Toyota matrix. My questions are:

1. Does she need to have a letter from the car manufacturer at the border stating compliance to EPA and dot standards
2. Does she need to get a new drivers license where she is, new car registration and insurance?
3. Is there anything else we need to know for her in order to bring her own vehicle with her?
Thanks!
stinnyNew Member

Post Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I moved to the US a few months ago and had no trouble obtaining a letter from GM for my 2009 Pontiac Vibe. My wife, however, was told by GM Vintage Services (place that writes the letters for Canada), that her 2012 Chevrolet Cruze was not importable into the US...and that they could not write a letter. I asked the reason why, and they said they didn't know...that it was a memo from GM noting that no 2011 or 2012 Cruze's could be imported from Canada to the US.

Does anyone know who I could contact for further information? I tried contacting an RI in the Detroit area, but they didn't seem interested...

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!