[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
SteveDNew Member

Re: Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey there Im married and im moving to florida in couple months as im a permanent resident now and I want to bring my 2007 Ford Escape with me but, I have been reading these posts from other members and im starting to get confused. I want to know where is the first place to start? Really need some help....
JbenderNew Member

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:55 pm

I have a car with 4 years left financing. We are moving to DC in a month on an I visa as an intra company transferee, on a one year contract. Can I bring my car and continue my financing payments? Do I need a letter of approval from my bank? I will be driving to and from Canada a few times a year, as I am within driving distance to my family in Ontario.
The financing institution is not named on the ownership. Only my name. But if you do a car proof you can see there is a lien on it.
rubyhoJunior Member

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:29 pm

rubyhoJunior Member

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:35 pm

JbenderNew Member

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks RubyHo

Did you import it when you crossed then? Temporary import seems to allow you to just show up and you can import it for no longer than one year without passing all the safety requirements. With a full import you need to send in your documents 72 hours before I think. How did you do this?
JbenderNew Member

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 am

LauraDNew Member

Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi there,
I've read through a lot of the replies, but not sure my specific situation is addressed:
I'm a dual citizen moving to the U.S. from Canada, and I'm sponsoring my husband to get a green card. We want to import our car which was purchased in Canada (we own it outright). From what I understand, I need to find out if it complies with the American safety standards by looking for a sticker on the car (where do I look for this?), and if it only states compliance with Canadian standards, I need to get a letter from the manufacturer? What else do I need to do? What happens at the border?

Thanks so much! :)
RickyBobbyChanNew Member

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm already in the USA under a k-1 visa. My car is currently in Toronto, Canada, and will be back in August visiting my parents. I drive a 1999 Honda Civic Sir, in the the U.S its Honda Civic Si. I do have a bit of time before I go and I'm a little stumped on a few things. The car is mines, paid off, bought close to 10 years ago, but I had to switch it into my fathers name for insurance purposes last year and will be switching back into my name when I get there. I went to the BMV here in Maine and was given forms: MVT-10, S.T.M.V.6U (use tax certificate), EPA form 3530-1 (2 pages), HS-7, CBP form 7501, and was given form MVT-2 by the clerk. I just want to make sure I have everything filled out when at the boarder. Just need some guidance with these forms.

1. Who fills out what forms?

2. I've read EPA has to be filed 72hrs prior to boarder arrival.

3. What is "use tax certificate" , "MVT-10"?

Thanks in advance,
Rickybobbychan
hakaveliNew Member

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi! I read thru, but can't seem to find my situation addressed. I'm lost, and would REALLY appreciate some advice please, as I'm terrible with laws AND cars... :S Though I am trying.

I'm a fully (G) licensed Canadian who needs to move from Toronto to LA (with TN visa) ASAP, and drive to clients in LA thereafter. "Shipping" takes time, so instead I'm considering DRIVING (a Ford Fusion 2010 SE) from Toronto to LA. The car is fully paid-for by a family member, who purchased it from the 1st owner in Quebec, and will provide it to me as a gift - so I will need to transfer the OWNERSHIP and probably the INSURANCE (I'm currently a "second driver") before driving to LA. Also, I'm not sure if relevant, but I will continue paying accomodation rent in Canada for some family members for 2-4 months after moving to LA.

Ford here said they can provide a "compliance test" (I'm not sure what that means) for $100, but that I'll have to look into California emission standards...? Appreciate your kind advice on the sequence of steps I should take (or where specifically to look) for a smooth transition, in terms of ownership (& insurance) transfer in Canada, any car modifications, emission standards, importing procedures and post/pre-driving paper-work, plates, insurance & registration in LA, licensing, costs/taxes, etc... Also, if you have any tips for the drive, that would be great! Many thanks for your time!!!
RickyBobbyChanNew Member

Post Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:01 am

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!