Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
ChronoclastNew Member

Re: Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Post Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Didn't see this specifically posted...

I'm relocating to Texas on TN Status at the end of this month. I'm in the process of paying off my financed car in order to get the title. If it's paid off by the time I leave but the bank hasn't issued me the title yet, can I bring it into the US and within the 90 day time frame officially import it at a POE in Texas? Or would it have to be the POE I originally entered from (Buffalo)?

I read that Federal Law states that those who are immigrating must import the car, and those visiting can have the car in the country for up to a year, but I'm wondering in this circumstance if they'll let me import it later on and at a different POE.
spzNew Member

Post Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 am

I currently live in Canada and will be moving to California in July.
I plan to bring my wife's car.
Mazda 3 2008 (4 cyl 2.0)

I got a letter from the manufacturer stating:
"I am a representative for Mazda North American Operations and hereby certify that the vehicle referenced above, has been manufactured to conform with US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Emissions Control requirements in effect on the date of manufacture but not California Air Resources Board (CARB) requirements.
Nevertheless, because this vehicle does meet EPA requirements, you may be eligible for an exemption which would allow you to import your vehicle into any of the following states: CA"

I called the CARB office and they said it was ok to still register the car in California if you are relocating and it passes the EPA requirements.

However, if i go to the DMV site it says:
"Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)
California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS.) No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB), or visit ARB online."

So my question is, can i register this car in California without having to modify, etc???

Thank you in advance
munk88New Member

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:24 am

Hello,

I read all the posts and dont see this one...in fact I haven't found it anywhere on google. I have also made many, many phone calls and no one can tell me in Government...

I am trying to take my 2009 Toyota Matrix with me from Ontario to Texas.

I have the recall letter and compliance letter from Toyota and the EPA is no problem at all. However, the compliance says that I don't meet the FMVSS in two ways:

1-FMVSS101 instrument panel-from what I have read I can cross with this one without a problem. However, it is number 2 that I need to find out about:

2-FMVSS138 rule requires a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) which Canadian cars can not get...

Can I cross with number 2? I will put 2B on the HS-7 form, but I don't know whether this tire thing will stop me cold...

Anyone know???
Rickw23New Member

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am a dual citizen and I moved back from Arizona to Montreal 3 ago. I imported my US vehicle from Az to Canada and was forced to pay duty in Canada. Now I am moving back down to the USA and plan to drive my old USA vehicle back to California (plated in Canada). When I drive across (it has EPA certification under engine mount) do I need to pay duty again in the US? Or am I allowed 1 vehicle for personal use?

When I do drive across the border, what documents or forms do I need filled out?

Thanks in advance
islandmouseNew Member

Re: Bringing a Canadian Car to the USA - B2 visa only status

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:20 am

Hello
I've read everything here so far and understand the whole import process, but what I need help with is the fundamental question/answer to my situation. I'm a Canadian retired resident, snowbirding in the U.S. (Hawaii) each year on a B2 visa and want to ship and import my owned Cdn vehicle to Hawaii, leave it there, register/insure it there for my personal use each year when I return on a B2 visa.

Do I qualify to import a vehicle on a B2 status visa. Or, to import a vehicle would I require one of a student, work, green, dual U.S. visa status, etc. - AND, just being a retired Cdn snowbird, even a U.S. property owner does not qualify me to import a vehicle for personal use.

big thank you to the community here !!!!
TonkatruckNew Member

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi all,

Have had no luck finding the answer online. I'll be moving to the US within a few months under a TN visa and have a modified jeep (exterior accessories, custom suspension, larger tires, etc.) and it is a recent purchase for me so my question is two fold:

1. Can it be imported with the modifications? It is a US built vehicle (Toledo OH) and meets safety and emissions standards based on when it was built. I know importing a vehicle to Canada with modifications is an automatic no but haven't found any info about importing to the US.

2. I have not registered it in my name yet. Do I need to do this in Canada first or can I simply bring it to the border and declare/export it there? Basically it would save me taxes and registration fees in Ontario which can be hefty.

Alternatively, can I simply register it at a family residence still in Ontario and just bring it back before one year is up? How long do I have to have it in Canada before bringing it back to the US for another <1 year period? I'll have another vehicle to drive daily and this is more of a seasonal toy to summer drive than anything, but I would like to explore all options to see what makes the most sense.
torontonian2013New Member

Post Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen living in the US for last one year on a TN visa. I imported my van from Canada into US last year. Now its time to re-import it. Could you please provide me steps to follow in doing so.

Do I need to again go to CBP for import document, Police to get vehicle identification verification, safety and emissions testing and then to Transport department or can skip some steps since the vehicle is now registered in Texas.

Also, need to know if I can gift this vehicle to my friend who needs it for his business use.
I do not need this van any more as am thinking of buying a new one here.

Thanks

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 am

The import document issued by CBP mentions that as I am a non resident, it is a temporary importation and valid for one year only. If I stay in US then need to import it again before Oct 3, 2014. I am still in US and hence asked the questions.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:01 pm

What about the gift part. Can I gift it to my friend?

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Can I gift the temporary imported vehicle to my friend?

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!