[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
dracoreNew Member

Re: Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:56 am

The title on my vehicle has my fathers name and my name on it, but only I will be the one moving to the US. When I intend to register and plate my vehicle in NJ, will that be a problem? Do I need to change the title so it only has my name on it before I bring it over the border?

Thanks
SSK13New Member

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 am

Hi there,

Been reading through this and it seems like there are a lot of differences between states and even what province you are moving your car from.

I'm moving from Ontario to Florida under a TN Visa. My company has taken care of relocating my car through a professional service so I'm sure I have all the necessary steps taken care of in terms of importing the car. My question is what to do next?

-I'll have my SSN in a few days
-Is the SSN all you need (plus passport &documentation) to get a Florida license? Do I need to surrend my Ontario license?
-Once I have my license, I'll need to get Florida plates and insurance. What order to I do this in?:

My understand is the order is: Transfer License->Registration/Plates -> Insurance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-I will be cancelling my canadian insurance. Do I cancel my Ontario plates or can I hold on to them?

Hope someone can answer these questions. Thanks in advance!
SSK13New Member

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 am

I've been told it's really straightforward with ON to FL licensing. No test and it's a straight swap.

I'm a bit uncertain about registering my car though..
SSK13New Member

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 am

I arranged for a letter of compliance if that's what you are referring to, so I have it handy.

Quick question...will insurance companies in the state take into account your driving experience/record in Canada before assigning a premium to you?
calicanJunior Member

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

I plan on getting my IR-1 issued by next month and just spent an hour speaking to the folks at Nissan Canada, Nissan North America, and Nissan Finance since I still owe an amount on the loan. Here is what they said:

Nissan Canada: No problem, we will send you a "no-recall" letter that will confirm that your VIN does not have any recalls tagged to it. However, you need to call the folks at Nissan North America (US) for them to issue you a "letter of compliance"

Nissan North America: No problem, the letter of compliance will be mailed and will state that you require that you have to have your daylight headlights adjusted prior to importation.

Nissan Finance: Problem, one cannot export the vehicle if he owes an outstanding amount on the loan (finance, not a lease). However, a "US Letter" can be mailed to you if you plan to return with the car after one year, and you can provide a physical address where you are to be employed (since you still don't have a domicile there) along with a phone number and proof of insurance. otherwise have the loan transferred to someone else residing in Canada. This fellow was probably inferring to a TN-type status I believe.

Now having heard all this, can someone clarify if the US border fellow will know if the vehicle is fully paid or not? Do you require proof of this for the US POE?

Can I still take the vehicle, drive it through the POE to Los Angeles? My wife, a US citizen will be staying behind (she's a permanent resident) as she is employed in Canada. California law stipulates that a car get CA plates within 10 days of the owner taking up residence. What can I do?
calicanJunior Member

Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks AGN, but do I require any specific filling of forms at the POE to cross the border into the US? I can tell them that I will be driving back into Canada within a year to dispose of the remaining property I own in Canada. Will this work? And will the DMV in CA allow me to plate the car with their plates?
calicanJunior Member

Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 am

Yes, and I read that on the CBP site as well. So I gather that having this temporary car "import" status will make me exempt from the CA DMV requirement? Or is that another challenge since it falls under the State's jurisdiction?
SSK13New Member

Post Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:23 pm

fire_tiger4New Member

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:57 pm

mk i have a question its kinda like the others but my gf is a canadian resident an she bought me a 2012 mustang gt as a gift its fully paid for freshly off the lot not even a week old. an my question to u is what does she have to do to get it here in michigan were i live does she need a plate to cross the border? even though the car is for me? its brand new so obvs it passes all emission laws the dealer said u dont need a plate for 5-6months but im sure that it doesnt imply out of this country but sure be nice if it did plzs respond as soon as possible i could really use the input cause shes would like to leave this friday thank u for ur help
fire_tiger4New Member

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:31 pm

cause she couldnt she used a insurance claim from when ur mom got into a car accident with it an she couldnt get a car anywhere besides canada...i had her call the court system an they said cause its a gift they can work around it but she needs a plate to get across the border an thanks for the reply

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!