[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
cicilauNew Member

Re: Bringing a Canadian Car over to the USA

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:54 am

I am a Canadian living in BC. I have been granted a 1-year J-1 Visa to work as an exchange scholar in Minnesota. I originally planned to formally import my Canadian car into the US and have asked my car's manufacturer to give me that pre-approval letter. Today, I received the letter and it says that my car's speedometer and tire pressure monitoring system do not conform to US standards. The problem is that there are no parts available for modifying the tire pressure monitoring system. This means that this formal import route is a moot point.

As my J-1 visa is only for 1 year, I guess temporary import would allow me to get around this problem. I understand that I'll have to export my car after 1 year though. I have a few questions below:

1. As I will have to export the car in 1 year, could I keep my Canadian plates and registration? My car insurance in BC will actually cover any out-of-province driving, including the US, so I'll have insurance coverage when I'm in Minnesota.

2. If I need to register my car in Minnesota, would I be able to do so when the car is only a temporary import?

3. Could I still apply for Minnesota driver's license even though my car's registration remains in Canada?

4. There is a possibility that after my 1-year J-1 visa expires, the hospital I'll work for will apply for ANOTHER new J-1 visa for me, as a researcher, for another year. This means that after I export my car back to Canada after my 1 year is up, I'll probably temporarily import it back to the US again, under a new J-1 visa. Is that something that's doable?

Sorry for my questions and thanks for answering!
nizakiaNew Member

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 am

Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen working in California Bay Area on TN Visa and I applied to get registration and title of my car which i imported from Canada. i filed with all needed papaers plus custom paper which I got from my car shipper and got registration only and no title. the registration has some note at the bottom as no tile issues /not transferrable and when I called DMV they mentioned that on TN visa I will not be able to get my car's title. Is this true and did somebody fall into same situation before? Without a title i will not be able to sale it which I was planning to and i am not sure what to do here. any suggection is highly appereciated.

thanks
mary98976New Member

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a canadian citizen getting TN visa for WA.

I am planning to borrow my dad's car for the first few weeks until i buy my own in the states. So I would drive down to the border, get the visa, and head to the states with his car. Once i buy my own, i drive up to Canada and return my dad's car.

Would it be possible?
Is there any solutions you might suggest?

Thanks
mountaingenNew Member

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:46 pm

My mother just brought a car into the US that she is giving me. I thought we had it all figured out, compliance letter from Toyota, bill of sale, etc... turns out because the car is a foreign car, she had to pay 2.5% tax on the vehicle's value ($375). I've done research for months about how to bring a car into the US, even called border patrol, and they never mentioned this.

Well, guess its true and the link is right here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_ ... iableEntry

Oh, and she spent 2 hours at the border to get the paperwork done. Lovely.
optimasNew Member

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:23 pm

We are moving from Calgary to Los Angeles in June, I am coming on a J-1. The plan is to be there for three years, so we will have to import our car, a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. Like others have mentioned before, the letter we got from Hyundai Canada states the car complies with Canadian safety and emission standards but they cannot make any representation that the vehicle complies with safety or emissions standards in any other country. The car does have an EPA sticker in it.

I have read that sometimes people have no trouble with getting across the border and importing the car with the Canadian letter but some people are not so lucky. Any ideas on what we should do other than using an importer?

Also, we were planning on driving down to the border about a week before we are actually moving to make sure everything is ok with getting our J-1/J-2 visas (we have the paperwork, DS-2019, DS-160, paid SEVIS etc, already) then coming back to Calgary. We are also doing this because I heard we have to have our visa in order before our stuff reaches the border or the moving company won't take it across. Should we try and import the car at this first crossing? Will we then be able to take it back to Calgary and cross again with it a week or so later?

Thanks in advance for your help!
dracoreNew Member

Post Sat May 26, 2012 8:17 am

dracoreNew Member

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Ok so I brought my car over to NJ without going through the import procedure at CBP. I will need to properly import the vehicle in order to register/title in the state.

As I understand, I don't need to drive all the way back to the border, I can do it at any POE or airport right? I was looking at maybe Newark or somewhere else close by. Once I go there, who do I look for? Just ask for a CBP officer? Do they need to actually see the vehicle in person?
rhfhfgfryNew Member

Way Too Busy To Take Care Of Christian Louboutin?

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:45 am

A Current Clutch i465 From Religious Louboutin
AuZZZieNew Member

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 pm

On the same kind of topic... Does anyone know, if you are in the US for 1-2 years on a Visa, you purchase a car in the US and pay taxes/register it etc etc.

When you move back to Canada, what do you pay to import the car? Just duty? Surely you wouldn't be taxed yet again?
ee12345New Member

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Obtained the compliance letter from Mazda USA, regarding my Protege 2002 it states

""
(i) Emissions (EPA)
Our records confirm that your vehicle, referenced above, has been manufactured to
conform to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Emissions Control requirements
in effect on the date of manufacture.

(ii) Safety Standards (DOT)
Our records confirm that this vehicle met all U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
(including the requirements of FMVSS 208 – Occupant Protection) and labeling
requirements also in effect on the date of manufacture.

This vehicle may not meet state emission regulations. Please contact the Department of
Motor Vehicles for the specific state to determine what the requirements are.
""

So I guess (i) and (ii) mean Ok for the Federal importation. But the last paragraph is somewhat confusing. The projected move is to North Carolina, it seems like their emission standard is not as strict as in Ontario's Clean Air. So I assume that should be fine too. But still, - am I expected to provide any additional official paperwork on this matter when importing at a POE?

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!