[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Getting Paid with TN Visa

Getting Paid with TN Visa

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
jennadriscollNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:40 pm

Once you receive a TN Visa do you receive a Social Security number? How do you get paid. I am trying to inform a potential US employer about this. My understanding is that you need a Social Security number to work in the US. How does this work with the TN Visa Status.

Thanks for your help in advance.
fiestagirlCanuckAbroad Regular

Re: Getting Paid with TN Visa

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:05 pm

You apply at a social security office AFTER you get a TN. You probably won't get your SSN number for 2-6 weeks. Mine took 6 weeks from the day I received my TN. Your employer will possibly not know how to pay you without an SSN and may not be able to go through their payroll system - but they can pay you out of a/p for now. This topic has been discussed a lot on this forum - do a search and there's some great info!
jennadriscollNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks. What do you suggest I search. I wasnt able to find anything though I have had trouble with wording using this search.

Thanks
axolotlCanuckAbroad VIP

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:42 pm

You can only apply for an SSN after you get your TN. It takes about a week or two for your TN status to propagate to SSA computers so you should wait at least that long before you go to the SSA office to apply. They won't let you apply for it if you don't show up in their system.

In the meantime, your company can pay you either through a dummy SSN (and they will just change it over to your real SSN when you get it) or through accounts payable as the OP mentioned.
stacyr29New Member

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:13 am

Oh this wasn't a problem! Just give them your Canadian Social Insurance #. Same number of digits. Then when you get your American SS # update your files. HR told me to do this and it worked fine. You will get paid without delays. :)
tubTigJunior Member

SUBSCRIBE US FOR NEW FUNNY PRANKS & FUN VIDEOS!!!

Post Sun May 03, 2015 10:30 am

tubTigJunior Member

CLICK LIKE!!!

Post Sun May 03, 2015 10:34 am

CHANNEL HASHTAG: #1mvs
tubTigJunior Member

Post Sun May 03, 2015 10:43 am

tubTigJunior Member

CLICK LIKE!!!

Post Sun May 03, 2015 10:49 am

CHANNEL HASHTAG: #1mvs
TirebeiltNew Member

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:47 pm

I am definately also not impresssed with having ads that keep popping up after I paid to avoid them. also FLO from progerssivehas to go so annoying why is that ad constantly on my "your move" area?? Also the game needs resetting so often, what is up with that? overall zynga is slipping big time.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!