[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Cross border tax expert reviews

Cross border tax expert reviews

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
rsibleyJunior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Cross border tax expert reviews

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:19 pm

I've seen several names of US/Canada tax experts tossed around, and I think it would be beneficial to have some reviews of experiences with them posted here.

So, if you have experience using a tax expert, please reply to this thread and let everyone know what your experience was like!

Here are some names that I've seen and would be interested in hearing reviews on:
1) Mark Serbinski
2) Robert Keats
3) Brian Wruk
4) Gary Gauvin
5) David Ingram
6) Any others??
bigwigNew Member

Re: Cross border tax expert reviews

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 pm

I know this is an old thread but in light of the upcoming tax season and my experience, I hope someone finds this useful. I consistently came here to immigration advice and information and this board is just awesome!

I used Gary Gauvin. I won't be using him again. Numerous mistakes lead to me having to get a IRS tax advocate who was able to correct the issues refile. I STILL don't have my return and he filed in early May.

The mistakes were never his fault (sarcasm). The tax advocate was able to correct the problems and refile the returns.

The biggest issue with all this is I paid a very hefty premium for his services and there was no justification to costs. Just one line that said (something like) "US/Canada returns 2009". The amount I was charged was astronomical and I expected more from him. He was rude, high handed, and had a very defensive approach to the mistakes in my return. No real help at all from him.

Now I am sure a lot have used him and are happy with him. He is obviously busy with returns at tax time as he was virtually impossible to get ahold of (which ANY accountant is at tax time). But when I started searching for international tax preparers with reviews, I did not find any... good or bad. For me, I will not use Gary's services again.
mangospice8New Member

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks so much for your reviews. I've been looking around for a cross border tax expert and they all seem extremely expensive.

I will look seek out Joanne and see how she is.
jindalanilJunior Member

Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 pm

can someone suggest any reliable tax expert for canada and usa tax return who is affordabe?
rsibleyJunior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Interesting....I didn't know that there were replies to this thread until just now!
It's been over 4 years since I started this post.

I will add my thoughts and experience to this now that I have some.

I contacted both Gary and Serbinski. I forget the exact reasons now, but at the time I felt that Gary was a better option than Serbinski. I think cost was a big part of that, and perhaps how helpful they seemed on the phone.

So, I went ahead with Gary for the first year. He was a bit hard to get a hold of, but was quite helpful when I talked to him. He sent me a copy of the forms he was going to submit. I found some errors and told him about them. He sent me another copy. I reviewed it again and found that only some of the errors were fixed. So I sent it back to him again, and he replied with:

"I am unable to get it correct for you. I’ll cancel the invoice. Sorry."

Needless to say, I felt a little abandoned and was not impressed.

I fixed the errors myself and just submitted the forms on my own. In the following years since I have just done a lot of research on my own to figure things out and have used Turbo tax to submit my taxes.

I guess the conclusion from my experience is.....there are no good reasonably priced cross border tax experts. If your situation isn't too complicated, I would just try to figure it out on your own. That really sucks, but that's the conclusion I've come to.

Unless perhaps "Joanne" is a good option.
Junoon123CanuckAbroad Regular

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 pm

anyone else suggest any good accountants? Cross Border accountants
Thanks
smoothmooseNew Member

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:25 am

Wow, after so many year, so limited number of reviews.

I am looking to do some tax planning BEFORE I move from Toronto to California. Since I am NOT a new grad taking a nice job at Google or Facebook, I actually have quite a lot of savings in my RRSP and TSFA. After reading around and talking to others that have made the move, I can have some significant tax implications, especially for my RRSP for California state tax.

I'm looking for suggestions of Toronto tax accountant or lawyer that can help.
smoothmooseNew Member

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:42 am

So you work for Sebinski?
smoothmooseNew Member

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Sure, but why not answer our questions on this forum? You have over 250 posts and most telling us to goto the other forum and you'll answer the questions there. I'm fine to go over there and see what's been answered before.
VeraderoNew Member

Re: Recommend Joanne King C.A. (BDO Windsor office)

Post Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:57 am

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!