Returning to Canada - Surrendering my TN

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
IvonneCanuckNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Returning to Canada - Surrendering my TN

Post Thu May 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi all,

I have been living in the US on a TN for 3 years. My current TN is valid until 2012 but I have quit my job and am moving in a couple of weeks (4 days after my last day of work).

My question is do I need to do anything to tell the US that I'm surrendering my TN Visa? Do I surrender my I-94 at the border? If so, I'm wondering who I return it to since I will be facing Canadian customs and immigration rather than US Immigration. I want to make sure that they know I've surrendered my Visa and am no longer a US resident - this is important for tax purposes and also to reclaim my residential status in Canada.

Also do I need to close my bank accounts here or is it okay to leave one open and keep some money there (<$1500)?

If anyone has any info or advice I'd appreciate it. Thank you!
MC

Re: Returning to Canada - Surrendering my TN

Post Thu May 13, 2010 8:49 pm

There is no need to inform U.S. Immigration of anything. On re-entering Canada, you will surrender your I-94 to Canada Customs and they will return the I-94 to the DHS.

You are permitted to keep your U.S. bank accounts open if desired. You should be wary some U.S. banks charge maintenance fees for holding too low a balance so be sure to consult your applicable institution.

Your SSN is yours to keep for life even if back in Canada.
IvonneCanuckNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Fri May 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! :)
aj_vancityNew Member

Post Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Hey there,
I am in the same situation as you and wondering what you ended up doing?
I have claimed resident status in the US while on my TN visa for tax purposes. Did you have to obtain the departure sailing permit when leaving the US, or did you simply hand in your TN visa at the border?
From what I can tell reading the IRS website guidance is that you don't need the permit if you maintained Canadian resident status, so it seems like I would need to get the permit.
Thanks very much!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!