[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Overstay - How do they know?

Overstay - How do they know?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
julian_abelarNew Member

Re: Overstay - How do they know?

Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Okay, I'm pretty sure that US and Canada border agencies share information. I know there was a movement in US (after 9/11 of course) where they felt that Canadian border enforcement was weak and so they wanted to improve the sharing of info between the border agencies. Both Canada and US government have the "right" to know when people enter and exit their borders, so there is no law in either country that would prevent the sharing of the info.

Secondly, obviously it is all computerized and has little to do with the stamps on the passport.

So I would strongly assume that both countries know your coming and going in both directions.

I would recommend that while still in the US that you contact an immigration lawyer there, and then have them help you contact the US CBP to declare that you overstayed. I think that then you'd end up paying a fine or something. You'd probably still have some sort of flag on your record, but it would still be better than having some CBP trying to grill you based on knowing you're lying. Anyway, the immigration lawyer could advise you on all of this (i.e. the implication to further applications, etc.) Basically, I'm saying you should square up with the US authorities before trying to proceed with further immigration steps.

The leaving through Mexico may be worth a try, since obviously computer databases can be pretty dumb and US government may not share info it gets from Mexico with Canada. But it might, as again there is no reason they wouldn't.
luaayJunior Member

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:28 pm

I swapped passports while in US.Will they know regardless?
Swapping means,applying for new Canadian when my old expired.
on the side note,can i say whatever I want,on the way back to Canada or they don't care?Do Canadians know when I left Canada to US?I overstayed one year.
lawsSenior Member

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Unless you changed your name and date of birth, we will know. As far as the Canadian side goes, they don't care, you are Canadian, thats all that matters to them on entry. As far as coming back to the USA, you may get caught, or you may not..........only time will tell.

P.S. Thanks for breaking our laws.
luaayJunior Member

Post Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:20 pm

luaayJunior Member

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:37 pm

why are you putting your nose in to something that s not ur concern?go to plenty of fish,get laid or something,maybe then u will feel better
luaayJunior Member

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:28 pm

this is you selfish piece of crap!Lot of ppl aint dual.In fact I am happy I am not US citizen the most evil country on planet.I only go down there when i have to!

p.s.what is proof read?
luaayJunior Member

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 pm

lawsSenior Member

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:23 pm

".In fact I am happy I am not US citizen the most evil country on planet.I only go down there when i have to!"

Yes, we are evil. We spend billions of dollars and sacrifice thousands of lives to keep shitbags like you safe. We happen to be the biggest reason that no other countries F**k with Canadians. We may not have the best reputation in the world, but unlike you, we can form a coherent sentence.
luaayJunior Member

Post Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Safe?Are you kidding me?
Please dont keep me safe no more.The only country I ever felt threatened by is big elephant United Nazi states of america
StuartfomNew Member

Overstay How do they know

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:16 am

I am not sure of your situation but I was told by our immigration lawyer that the likelihood of my in-laws getting a visitor visa is not good. My in-laws dont have a lot of money, or jobs, or property in their names and since their son is an LPR they would be to likely to overstay their visa. We were told that if we want them to visit the best route would be to wait until my hubby goes for his citizenship and them apply for an immigrate visa for them.

So before they spend money applying or a visitor visa I would like look into it more.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!