[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Best way to pass-through my income

Best way to pass-through my income

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
kingjulienNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Best way to pass-through my income

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:39 pm

My wife and children are dual citizens (Canadian / American) and I am a US citizen. We plan to move to BC in 2-3 years. My wife would sponsor me and I would be a resident of Canada until I can apply for my Candian citizenship (~3 years). I would like to get some direction on how to structure my income from my company. I am self employed (service industry), no employees (my wife helps me) and currently have a S-Corporation. At this time, all the income is salary (reasonable salary) and I pay FICA (15.3%) on that income. When I move to BC, I am going to keep my clients and run the company from Canada. What is the best way to structure my company to eliminate FICA and pay CPP? I know that living in Canada and being a US citizen requires me to file US taxes (would be exempt of paying them with the treaty) and paying taxes in Canada. My goal is to transfer the income generated in the USA and pay CPP, federal and provincial taxes in Canada. I need to have the business seperate for limited liability in the USA. Should I convert the S-Corp to an LLC or C-Corp? When I move, the income generated will be around 60K.
Last edited by kingjulien on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottconleyNew Member

Re: Best way to pass-through my income

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 am

I'm no expert, but I do know some people who have businesses and they don't collect an income but rather dividents from the corperation. Now they don't pay into the CPP or EI, but they only pay capital gains instead of income tax which is lower. This seems to work for them quite well.

As well with NAFTA, there should be provisions that allow a non-resident to run a corperation in the US from Canada. Go find a good tax/corperation lawyer.
kingjulienNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:52 pm

That's a bad idea. The IRS requires you to take a reasonable salary from your company first, then you can pay dividends if you are a C-Corp or bonus with S-Corp (no FICA). There would also be no capital gains as an active participant.

To someone qualified:

If I am a permanent resident of Canada (US Citizen) is it best to be self employed in Canada, establish a payroll for myself (CRA) and bill my US company for the work? The work will be completed in Canada and the only time I would be in the USA is to visit clients. I would file a US tax return, Canadian tax return, get the tax credit (treaty) and pay into Canadian Pension Plan. Is there a problem that my company in the USA is 100% owned by me (non-arms length)? What is a better limited liability structure in my situation (LLC vs. S-Corp) for less filing requirements?
SanFran2012New Member

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 pm

I would suggest contacting an accountant who is familiar with both US & Canadian taxes for some guidance. Most will provide the guidance for free but if you want them to look over your documents they will charge you a small fee. There are several tax accountants who have working knowledge of both tax systems in Canada since a lot of people do this.
Phil Hogan, CPA, CANew Member

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm

KennethMyncNew Member

Best way to pass through my income

Post Thu May 14, 2015 8:18 am

I think that that term threads is so appropriate for this forum, dont you?
rn
rnBut
rnWhat is the best way to view them?
rnIve had them running most recent posts first, then running in date order but with the links in a separate window at the top...
rnThen if I want to go back to a thread which has grown longer, I cant find where I was.
rn
rnHow do I get them running from first to most recent post?
EbobatsorNew Member

Erotiche tettone

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:02 am

Maculopatia rovigo
Non sentivo bene le parole che Armando sussurrava ma si doveva trattare di consigli su come non fare male. Era gia bagnata fradicia, la sua fica emanava un profumo intenso ed inebriante. Che serata!!!
EbobatsorNew Member

Erotico napoli

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:03 am

Sesso con donna nere.
L'ultima nota di questa storia: uscendo da casa di Franco e Rossella incontro il signore del piano di sopra: da come mi guarda capisco che ha sentito tutto e ha capito cosa e successo. Sono li, occhi e bocca ben aperta e il suo viso sul mio poco distante con un sorriso crudele. Monica era sotto la doccia col suo vibro, con la cam che la inquadrava, e nuovamente lo faceva senza me, contrariamente a quanto vi avevamo messi d'accordo.
odoclaiXNew Member

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:59 am

I called AAs EXP desk to have them do a search on award availability for next month. Here is a comparison of F award availability on CXs website vs AAs EXP desk:

SFO-HKG F award availability according to CX website:
Thursday: 1am-YES, 1pm-YES
Friday: 1am-YES, 1pm-YES

SFO-HKG F award availability according to AAs EXP desk:
Thursday: 1am-NO, 1pm-YES
Friday: 1am-NO, 1pm-YES

##

LAX-HKG F award availability according to CX website:
Wednesday: 11pm-YES
Thursday: none for all flights
Friday: none for all flights

LAX-HKG F award availability according to AAs EXP desk:
Wednesday: 11pm-NO
Thursday: none for all flights
Friday: none for all flights
WinfordenNew Member

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:21 pm

If you take 75 through Atlanta, just get in the HOV lane and take off you can usually make pretty good time in it,and you only have traffic on one side to watch for. But I agree with Elrod take the 2 lanes, its a lot more fun

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!