Visiting fiance in USA, tips?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
snowgirlNew Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:01 am

Visiting fiance in USA, tips?

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:52 am

I am going to be driving from Ontario, Canada to California to visit my fiance, who is a Canadian student attending university there, for 2 months. I will have my cats with me too. Car is registered in Ontario.

I am worried that if I tell the border guard I am visiting a fiance they may think I am trying to come down to get married and stay in the USA... but I do have a job here in Canada and besides my fiance is also Canadian and there on a student visa, but of course I won't be able to prove that at the border!

What can I do to make my border crossing smoother? Should I just say I am visiting my boyfriend, or a friend? Will they think it is wierd that I am driving? I don't want to fly with 3 cats, and I can't find anyone to take care of the cats for 2 months, and they go everywhere with me anyway, and I prefer driving :)

Is there any documentation besides my passport and birth certificate I should consider bringing?
CanuckAbroadSite Admin
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:00 pm
Location: Victoria

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:35 am

Definitely bring proof of employment! You're right, they will be suspect. Bring some past pay stubs, or even better, a letter from your employer saying you're still working in Canada, etc.

You might want some documents for your cats too (immunization certificates) just in case they bring that up. It's best to be over-prepared so you can answer any question. Make sure you tell them your boyfriend is Canadian, and know the name of the school he's going to, what he's studying etc. They might ask you that sorta stuff.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Worse cas scenario, they might call your employer or your boyfriend and hold you at the border for a couple of hours. They did that to a friend of mine because he was a single male, unemployed, and going for a roadtrip in the US. They wanted to make sure he wasn't planning on staying and trying to work.
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:02 am
Location: London, England

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:09 pm

Definately agree with bringing paystubs. Would also suggest you bring a bill or two (or bank statement)in your name. A few years ago I was interogated for over an hour when going to visit my sis in California because I didn't have paystubs or bills in my name with me. (Now tell me...who brings that stuff with them on vacation!?!?)

I suggested they call my employer to verify my job and they refused to do that saying it was up to me to make sure I had what I needed, they weren't gonna help me.

I crossed the US/Canada border about a hundred times in the past few years as I lived in Michigan and 98% I had no trouble. Hope it goes well!
snowgirlNew Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:01 am

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks! I will bring a bank statement ad pay stubs, maybe also a letter from my employer.

As for the cats, I have crossed the border a couple of times with them and they never even looked at them. No vaccinations are actually required for cats (only for dogs) but I do bring their vet records just in case.
yesiknowNew Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Minnesota

over kill

Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:09 am

You would be better off to say that you are visiting a friend and touring California. The border guards only want a definite destination and length of visit. They don't need to know the person is your fiance because then they may question your motives. The more you over prepare, the more they will think something is up. Don't go to all that trouble, it just sounds phony. Have a great trip though!!
JulieNew Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Arizona

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:52 am

One more bit of information that would help prove that you you're returning to Canada would be evidence of residency in Canada. If you rent, have some proof of that - cancelled cheques, utility bills paid etc.

Oh and, MONEY - show them your travellers cheques or some other evidence that you'll be able to support yourself while in California.

Good luck!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest