Flagged at the border

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!
yaseminNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Flagged at the border

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:43 am

I had an H1-B work visa a few years ago for a teaching position in CA and since that time whenever i go to visit, I'm stopped and my documents are scrutinized - I'm in their red flag computer list. Have any of you encountered this problem of being flagged after having worked (legally i might add) in the USA ? It apparently happened to other teachers recruited by the same school district. Now I fear trying to visit there again because i never know if i'll get refused, even though i just want to visit ( i love it there) and i worked LEGALLY !!! I can't even take flights to Europe that transfer in the U.S. because of this stupid hassle.
oohmercymeModerator

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:48 pm

WOW- that's terrible!

I've never heard of that. I worked in the states for 6 years, first on a student visa, and then for 5 years on a TN (NAFTA) visa and have never been flagged for that.

Hope someone has some help for you!
CanuckAbroadSite Admin

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:26 pm

Brutal. The US scares me for that very reason. I try to avoid flying through there whenever possible, even though I've never had any trouble there.. It just worries me they have so much power. My girlfriend, a Swedish citizen, had to be fingerprinted and photographed like most foreigners. Creepy.
nishantSenior Member

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:07 am

How do you know that you have been flagged? Random checks are always there and these random frequency increases significantly depending on country of birth.

Honesty is the best policy. If you are legal in all aspects, there is no need to worry about checking
CanuckAbroadSite Admin

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:29 am

True. I get 'randomly' searched most times I fly through the states, though they never really scrutinize my papers. Just go through my carry-on stuff and ask a few more questions.
KumarNew Member

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:04 pm

And, I have experienced, the U.S. officer has not even checked any of my documents trusting my words that I'm a Canadian Citizen, he let me in the U.S. without any further questions.
SuncheonNew Member

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:58 pm

I have a similar question. Please help me.

I got married to an American in in Canada August. We moved to South Korea and haven't decided which country we will end up living in (probably Canada). We will continue to live in South Korea for the next few years before file the proper papers for spousal immigration.

The details: This winter we are planing to VISIT family for a couple weeks in America, then going to Canada to VISIT there for a couple weeks then flying back to our temporary home in South Korea.

MY QUESTIONS: Will I have problems entering the US being a spouse of an American? Will my American husband have problems entering Canada for a visit? Do I need any special papers? Am I going to be flagged and hassled and potentially miss connecting flights? I'm so worried about our holiday. I've been looking and can't seem to find an answer out there.

If anyone has any information about this PLEASE let me know. Thank you so much.
Reba

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:43 am

I had an L1B visa for work as well, and I had been flagged for going back and forth every couple of weeks for work.

The trick is to not have anything in your purse, luggage, or carry on that even slightly resembles anything work related. No business cards, no nothing. If you're on holiday pug a bathing suit in your suitcase. That usually works. And give yourself a lot of extra time to get thru customs. If I was travelling for holiday, I'd arrive 3 hours before my flight just in case.

I've been thru a lot of crap with US customs searching me and everything I'm carrying. One officer even sat and read my personal journal one time. I thought that was rather rude :p

They'll let up sooner or later.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!