Canadians in Belize??

For anyone living or traveling in Belize.
nwalker57New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Canadians in Belize??

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:04 pm

Looking to move down to Belize for about a year, any Canadians down there with some insight? Or have ever lived there temporarily?
TorontoguyNew Member

Re: Canadians in Belize??

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:00 pm

I went there for holiday two years ago - but this is my take from a tourist perspective.

For a caribbean country it is probably the most 'middle-class' oriented.

Tourism is a big part of the economy but they do have some exports (agriculture).

From a cultural perspective, Belize used to be a British Colony so there is a big influence of english culture in terms of politics, manners, etc.

Belize is one of the few English speaking caribbean countries. Most people speak Creole which is broken English (ie they can understand you but you can't understand them).

If you have a skill such as electrician, mechanic, etc - you could easily setup shop and open up your own business servicing the tourism industry as there is a huge lacking in skilled work force.

Climate is hot and humid. Similar to Florida.

Lots of wildlife both ocean and interior. Beautiful country with friendly people. Very expensive though.

Hope that helps.
chasdapperJunior Member

Post Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Lots of Canadian expats hanging around Footprints Pub in Placencia. Remember getting some decent share tips from a Canadian speculator at the bar..
ShimokitazwawJunior Member

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 am

I met a guy in Belize once several years ago from Canada. Nice guy from a place called Kamloops. Was missing some fingers due to a mechanical procedure from a car or something, if I remember correctly.

There seem to be quite a few Canucks in Belize and the area such as Panama, etc.
sam1New Member

Post Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:44 am

Thanks for giving this information i am looking for since 1 year

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!