[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Backpacking South America

Backpacking South America

Canadian Expats and travelers in South America can communicate with each other here!
TylercJunior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Backpacking South America

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:23 pm

Diana ElisaNew Member

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 am

manuperuamazon.comNew Member

Re: Backpacking South America

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 am

[Backpacking in Peru it is easy, but of course hotels can be cheaps but not the same quility as in other countries. There are many people backpacking here in Peru, food can be get to 1 us dolar 1 menu, but this can maybe give some stomac problems to travellers not use to.

If you want to know about trips to the jungle just mail me.
kite2010Junior Member

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:43 am

It's a piece of cake. You have nothing to worry about. Fantastic region of the world and perhaps only Africa can touch it in terms of the natural landscape and culture.
vinelandNew Member

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Absolutely go.

I traveled to Peru and Bolivia this spring and it was fantastic. I think I flew down with $2500 in my account, spent three months there, and flew back with about $500 leftover. And mind you, I did everything I wanted, and ate generally well.

Hostels in the tourist cities of Peru like Cusco, Arequipa and Lima range in price, but I'd say around $10-15 a night is average if you want a nice place with all the amenities of home. Cheaper ones can obviously be found if you put in the effort and are adventurous.

Buses are real easy to go from city to city on. Most places in Peru have central terminals where you can roll up and reserve a seat for the next day, or even shorter notice depending on the company and length of the trip. The cost is generally quite cheap, working out to about $1usd/hr. Some of the companies have enroute movies, hot food, blankets and everything else you'd associate with a discount airline.

For daytime trips, take the cheaper buses - they're more exciting. Pay a little more overnight trips, remember you're saving on hostel costs.

Food varies, but it's cheap, and if you like chicken and rice you're in the right place.

Bolivia is comparable to Peru with regard to everything I've said here... except it's cheaper, and way more fun. The people are cooler too.

Go. Go. Go!!!

I had literally zero trouble during the three months I spent there. I met countless others travelling alone and while there were some negative stories, you have to expect that things can get hairy sometimes. Just talk to people you meet, get recommendations, and be open to inconvenience.

Okay, if you have any specific questions with regard to Peru or Bolivia I will try and answer as best I can.
goAcrossNew Member

Post Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 am

I only can recommend Ecuador. It's an amazing country an I fell in love with it!!!!
ShenanigansNew Member

Post Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:01 pm

My friend and I will be traveling for 3 weeks in Brazil, Uraguay, and Argentina. I was wondering if anyone has done this route before? Or if anyone has traveled to those places separately. We are trying to work out a budget, but every site is showing us different prices.

How much were your flights?
We're planning on staying in a double dorm room for majority of the trip - how much are accomodations/night?
Cost of food/day?

Some sites are telling us it's $60/US per day for all living costs, but others are showing us much cheaper. On average, how much should we be planning on spending for the 3 weeks - And are there any tips we should know? (Transportation, Accomodation, etc)

Thank you!!!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!